Fat Bluegill
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Sparro
Tarp: Warbonnet Superfly
Suspension: Various
Insulation: Pad and sleeping Bag

Re: Who else needs it?

Post by Fat Bluegill » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Proverbs 21:9 Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Proverbs 21:19 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife.

Proverbs 27: 15-16 15 A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping of a leaky roof in a rainstorm; 16 restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand.

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:43 pm

Fat Bluegill wrote:Proverbs 27: 15-16 15 A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping of a leaky roof in a rainstorm; 16 restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand.
Oh for heaven's sake, this is ridiculous. If the wife is quarrelsome or the roof is leaking obviously there is a problem, SO FIX THE PROBLEM. Repair the roof. Talk to the wife. These things don't happen for no reason.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:13 pm

GregD wrote:
Fat Bluegill wrote:Proverbs 27: 15-16 15 A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping of a leaky roof in a rainstorm; 16 restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand.
Oh for heaven's sake, this is ridiculous. If the wife is quarrelsome or the roof is leaking obviously there is a problem, SO FIX THE PROBLEM. Repair the roof. Talk to the wife. These things don't happen for no reason.
I didn't intend to post initially, and I don't intend to post again after this comment. Anything else I could say would be redundant.

When one uses scripture as a whole for comfort, understanding and direction it can be very helpful and constructive.

Selectively choosing verses to build a case, for any agenda, can be destructive. (Finding the verse that says "Judas hung himself" and then flipping to another verse that says, "Go and do likewise" is a silly but accurate example.)

The consistent message of the Bible is forgiveness and reconciliation, one of restoring the relationship between God and God's people.

Much of the advice in this thread whether secular or faith-based provides wise counsel in the same direction, restoration, and reconciliation.

Waiting for God to solve our problems as we want makes as much sense as the story of the flood victim...

...The water was rising so the police came to evacuate the neighborhood, but the person said, "no thanks, God, will save me". The water continued to rise and search and rescue folks came out in a boat and the person said, "no thank you God will save me". The water rose to the rooftop when a helicopter was sent and the person responded, "no thank you, God will save me". The person drowns. In heaven, he asks God, "Why didn't you save me?" And God responds, "I sent you a police car, a boat, and even a helicopter. All you had to do was take a few steps of your own to get in."

Maybe God has answered your prayers by giving you the gift of wise words upon which you should now act.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:08 pm

GregD wrote:
Why the sudden, out of the blue hostile response? Maybe hostile is not the right word, but certainly your tone is not in harmony with the tone of the thread so far and seems uncalled for. We know that you would probably find any reference to scripture ridiculous, but why start something? The OP mentioned a spiritual approach right off, so he apparently would not find it so ridiculous.

I don't think that proverb is saying anything different. It is a simple statement that the things listed are a problem. Problems that can lead to much unhappiness, that will wear you down over time, which would logically indicate one should be fixing the problem if there is to be any hope of happiness. It is a factual, common sense statement, rather than being ridiculous.

And BTW, I wasn't going to comment on that, but just FYI, "God helps those who help themselves" is not in the Bible.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 pm

BillyBob66 wrote: Why the sudden, out of the blue hostile response? Maybe hostile is not the right word, but certainly your tone is not in harmony with the tone of the thread so far and seems uncalled for. We know that you would probably find any reference to scripture ridiculous, but why start something? The OP mentioned a spiritual approach right off, so he apparently would not find it so ridiculous.

I don't think that proverb is saying anything different. It is a simple statement that the things listed are a problem. Problems that can lead to much unhappiness, that will wear you down over time, which would logically indicate one should be fixing the problem if there is to be any hope of happiness. It is a factual, common sense statement, rather than being ridiculous.

And BTW, I wasn't going to comment on that, but just FYI, "God helps those who help themselves" is not in the Bible.
No hostility. A bit of exasperation. My intent was to convey the same idea as in UncleMJM's post.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:40 pm

GregD wrote:
BillyBob66 wrote: Why the sudden, out of the blue hostile response? Maybe hostile is not the right word, but certainly your tone is not in harmony with the tone of the thread so far and seems uncalled for. We know that you would probably find any reference to scripture ridiculous, but why start something? The OP mentioned a spiritual approach right off, so he apparently would not find it so ridiculous.

No hostility. A bit of exasperation. My intent was to convey the same idea as in UncleMJM's post.
OK, my bad then.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Fat Bluegill
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Sparro
Tarp: Warbonnet Superfly
Suspension: Various
Insulation: Pad and sleeping Bag

Post by Fat Bluegill » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:44 am

I want to take a moment and thank everyone and their advice and input. I understand that everyone comes from different backgrounds and beliefs. I believe that God speaks through his word and sometimes through others. Sometimes asking the question is as hard and receiving the answers. I did want to let everyone know that I have taken the above advice to heart. I am moving forward. I don't know exactly how yet, but I am moving. I am talking with my wife to address the problems we are facing. I don't know how it will end. I just didn't want everyone to think I am a putz. Well, almost everyone. Thank you for allowing God to use you to speak to my issues.

Thanks again. You all have been extremely helpful.

johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

Post by johnspenn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 am

Bluegill, I don't know what you're going through but I do pray that you and your wife can resolve the issues you have and continue on in unity and peace.

I don't know what I'd do without my wife.

I, too, need the outdoors- it helps keep me grounded and thankful.

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:53 am

Bluegill, So sorry to her about your life issues. We all go through them and most come out of them just fine. You will too. As to needing the woods for escape... Well, my life is almost perfect after 2 divorces and a lot of other life issues and while my life now is almost perfect I, too, still need the woods to unwind.. Nothing is more soothing than getting out and becoming one with nature. Good luck to you and you will be just fine....
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

Biker Bob
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Biker Bob » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:33 pm

I know a lot about marriage having done it wrong before. My first and I found out we shared a common trait. We both preferred women. She may still be in a gay marriage but she did not let go after she got her divorce. In all honesty it had been years of unhappiness which had no resolution. I am no saint and cannot honestly say I was an easy person to live with, but I was not running around with other women and did bring home a paycheck every week. After the divorce she had her mother call my mother and tell her they would prevent her from seeing the grandchildren. She made certain my family was told many lies which were believed. The divorce caused both the emotional problems of being alone but also financial stress being unable to live comfortably due to giving her half of my paycheck, a payed for place to live and threats to be charged with contempt for not making payments early.
I found myself in a relationship with a much younger woman. That marriage did bring a daughter I love very much, but she lives with her mother and I cannot comfortably visit the grand children. The last time I had to be around number two was at my daughter's college. She treated me better than she did her new husband, but I quickly remembered why I never wanted to be in that relationship again.
Number three-I remained single for several years met a woman with a spiritual life. We shared a common bound there. She insisted she had also had enough of marriage and never wanted to marry again. To quote my oldest daughter who I asked about how to have a relationship "Daddy, a relationship is hard work." By the way she and her husband have twenty five or more years of what from the outside and from listening to my SIL is a great marriage.
The woman who did not ever want to get married again-we have I think nineteen years together. We are ageing and that is a hard thing to cope with. Motorcycle trips this year have been curtailed. It is sitting in the shed needing carbs rebuilt, but there is a 60 foot oak tree on the shed thanks to Matthew.
I don't know where you live, but some do camp in the snow. A week apart may give both time to think and have a different outlook at where the marriage is going. My daughter and son in law do things separately at times and it works for them.
Right now I need to be cutting on the oak tree, but I am sitting at the computer wondering where I can escape to for about a week. I was gone for a long weekend, but it was not a time of solitude or reflection.
It is not mine to know the will of God but only to accept the things I cannot change.
I hope you are only at a time of needing a break from the rigors of life but will wish you the best of luck in whatever happens.

Bob
Best of luck
Bob

Hangin' on the coast

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”