Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Re: AHH.....I STRONGLY DISLIKE THAT

Post by gmcpcs » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:40 am

When we do that acronym page, we're gonna put "gmcpcs" on the list------
OK, that made coffee snort out of my mouth, and not very good, as I'm sneaking laptop time at a conference right now...:) :)

That is a discussion for the campfire, but it is Navy and name related.

Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:49 am

Gunners Mate Chief Patrick C Shaffer I win.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: AHH.....I STRONGLY DISLIKE THAT "OTHER"PAGE

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:56 am

Uh oh...I seem to have stepped in something over there last night...I responded to a post soliciting for more 'donating members.' I asked what the money was for...i.e. Does it get me any special perks, discounts, stuff, etc...seems that several people with important looking little thingies next to their screen names didn't take to kindly to me wondering what I would get in return for my $10... I guess I just have to go with trusting them like Nancy Pelosi...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

Fat Bluegill
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Sparro
Tarp: Warbonnet Superfly
Suspension: Various
Insulation: Pad and sleeping Bag

Post by Fat Bluegill » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:38 am

KINGLONESTAR wrote: trusting them like Nancy Pelosi...

Ha!

southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by southernfire97 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:58 am

KINGLONESTAR wrote:Uh oh...I seem to have stepped in something over there last night...I responded to a post soliciting for more 'donating members.' I asked what the money was for...i.e. Does it get me any special perks, discounts, stuff, etc...seems that several people with important looking little thingies next to their screen names didn't take to kindly to me wondering what I would get in return for my $10... I guess I just have to go with trusting them like Nancy Pelosi...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I ran into this issue one time in a hunting club. After hearing several members paid different club dues, I asked to see the club bank account statement and asked about the difference in club dues. I was told that it was none of my business. Considering I was the only one who had a tractor and implements capable of planting our plot, and never received any discount or money for fuel or any other costs related to using my equipment, I felt it was well within my right to know where my money was going. Needless to say, I immediately told them how I felt and left the club. I understand that running anything, hunting club, website, etc has expenses, but at least make the fee usage transparent.

johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

Post by johnspenn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:21 am

I like the other page. I don't know, I don't see long threads over there bashing "the other page"...

It's the 'net and some abuse the anonymity... but for the most part the folks over there have been helpful to me. It's pretty easy to ignore the few who aren't.

If you have a chip on your shoulder and are looking to be offended, you will get what you're looking for, guaranteed.

I'm brand new here but hope to be able to learn and contribute. Happy hanging!

edit: I don't know, I suppose it's possible I'm part of the problem. =)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:10 am

This site was created by friends of mine as a result of my being Banned For Life over there. That was a result of my telling the truth about thier Copyright policy on Facebook. But it all started as a result of the scandal exposed when all of thier Moderators resigned at the same time:

http://www.tothewoods.net/

It was revealed that the site is a For Profit enterprise and a substantial percentage of the donations go into the owners pocket. Several of us tried working from the inside to get them to at least change the terminology of "Donation". Our position was that using that word leaves an incorrect impression on the minds of people forking over thier money.

As a content creator, I was especially disappointed that not only was I creating content that contributed to a profit making enterprise, but I was actually paying the man for the privilege of creating the content that was making money for him. This site was created as a totally non-profit enterprise, paid for out of the pocket of the owner, that does not claim the copyright on any of the content posted to this site. The content providers own thier words and pictures, not us. They have the right to edit or delete any content in perpetuity. If you can't edit or delete your own words, you don't own them. You can actually protect your copyright by posting here before anywhere else. As a blogger who creates content, tyou should be concerend with the copyright policies of any site you contibute to.

A month or so after we launched there was a thread in the Donating Members section that trashed this site, calling it a "cult" and making untrue allegations about spamming.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... forums-net

For a long while they were deleting posts that featured my videos. Some members resorted to just posting the links rather than posting as a video so that folks could see them.

A couple of fan boys have tried, some successfully, to get me banned or blocked from Facebook Groups.

I understand you can still be banned for mentioning this site over there. They have an alogrithm installed on the site that prevents the URL of this site from being posted, even in private messages (try it, I'd like to know if they are still doing it), and I understand that doing so will get you banned. We don't have such a policy here. We believe that knowledge about backpacking, camping, and hammocks is useful no matter where it comes from or who posts it. We engage in no vengance or vendetta, but we will speak the truth, even if some people don't want it heard.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:06 pm

The copyright issue and the "donations" have been my biggest issue. If this site had a donating members option I would probably do it; I'm fairly sure the money's use would be disclosed and would not just fall into an admins bank account.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

Post by johnspenn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:15 pm

I had heard about the issues that some have had, and I think it's unfortunate. I don't get caught up in the inner workings, I just enjoy the camaraderie over there with like-minded people, something I'm hoping to find over here.

That said, my commentary on the issue has come to an end and I will start trying to do here what i do over there and leave the other stuff to those who know better =) Peace!

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:The copyright issue and the "donations" have been my biggest issue. If this site had a donating members option I would probably do it; I'm fairly sure the money's use would be disclosed and would not just fall into an admins bank account.
This site is still paid for for another year or so, I think. When I get another big bill (cheaper to pay for 2 or 3 years in advance) I could maybe do "donations" and give donors a sticker in return, but I doubt it. Easier and more transparent for me to just pay for it out of my pocket.

HammockForums Donating Member is not a Donation, it is a fee. Because you HAVE to pay in order to see some content, you are thus being charged, hence a fee.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 pm

johnspenn wrote:I had heard about the issues that some have had, and I think it's unfortunate. I don't get caught up in the inner workings, I just enjoy the camaraderie over there with like-minded people, something I'm hoping to find over here.

That said, my commentary on the issue has come to an end and I will start trying to do here what i do over there and leave the other stuff to those who know better =) Peace!

It is unfortunate, yes. Its even forgivable.

That's a little harder to do when you're the target, though.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:08 pm

sarge wrote:It is unfortunate, yes. Its even forgivable.

That's a little harder to do when you're the target, though.
True words Sarge. As one who has enjoyed both places since their respective beginnings I do find the changes in recent years to be quite sad.

I have folks I consider to be very good friends that I would have never met without the former place. Many no longer post there and that too is sad.

I'm thankful for the benefits of both sites and it's easier for me to keep my sanity by focusing on the blessings, easier said when not in the cross hairs.

It's more fun to focus on the positives, (I can make references to both sights and faith here :D ), to shake the dust off when necessary and do what's hard.

70x7

Atrus81
Reactions:
Hammock: Hennessy Expedition
Tarp: Stock w/ hennessy
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Atrus81 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Crap, there is a political breakdown of the two sites? Damn, is there a 3rd party forum for hammock people?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Atrus81 wrote:Crap, there is a political breakdown of the two sites? Damn, is there a 3rd party forum for hammock people?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Last July I attended my 3rd hammock party. Butt bake 2015. Hurricane Cove 2016. Butt Bake 2016. Wish I could make it to fall hang, but no luck yet.

Actually this one is equal opportunity. Check out Sarge's Bunker sub forums on this site. Areas set aside for God, atheist, guns, anti-guns, politics, anti-politics. No one is banned or sent off due to their belief system.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

DaddyDaddy
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DaddyDaddy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm

It's been a very long time since I was even on this site much less posted here. I have to be honest. It was just more than I could put the effort into. I'm sure that sounds lame.

I look at "the other forum" daily and I can tell you only what I have noticed in my own personal interaction there. I post far less than I used to. I see too many folks rehashing the same old same old when they respond. I'll see a thread that I think I might have something to add to. I'll look at the date it was started and how many responses have already been made and I can pretty much tell you what they are, who they are from and what the outcome of the thread is at that point. Fanboy rehash, you're doing it wrong rehash, off topic drivel rehash, rehash of the rehash, or ridiculous I'm burr hurt because you're butt hurt about being butt hurt...

So I'll be doing a lot more reading over here and perhaps a little more posting and hopefully offering something to the community at large. I just like being helpful and adding value. Not seeing a lot of opportunity for that over there of late. I'm still there in hopes that I can have a positive influence. Can't expect to change things unless you are present, but seeing another avenue to be a change agent. 8-)

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”