southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

AHH.....I STRONGLY DISLIKE THAT "OTHER"PAGE

Post by southernfire97 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:33 am

That bunch of soft skinned, liberal, whiny ass people over there drive me CRAZY!!!!!

...rant over... carry on..

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: AHH.....I HATE THAT

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:25 pm

May I suggest that "hate" is a fairly strong word. How about "strongly prefer other sites"?

Personally, I would say that I've suffered a great deal from the experience there, and from thier fanboys recently now that HH hasn't dried up and blown away and my YouTube channel is seeing some small success----but I don't hate anybody.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: AHH.....I HATE THAT

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm

I still swing by there occasionally, mostly for the FS forum (just bought another 20 degree UQ today), and the vendor forums. My "special donating member status" aka FEE paid content, has expired and I don't plan to ever reinstate it. This forum is steadily growing, and we are putting out more good content every day, and answering people's questions in a helpful manner, so I'm happy.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: AHH.....I STRONGLY DISLIKE THAT "OTHER"PAGE

Post by southernfire97 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Adjusted the title appropriately...

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: AHH.....I STRONGLY DISLIKE THAT

Post by GregD » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:18 pm

southernfire97 wrote:That bunch of soft skinned, liberal, whiny ass people over there drive me CRAZY!!!!!

Is THAT where all the liberals are? I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

tennistime99
Reactions:
Hammock: Jungle Exp Asym Zip
Tarp: Hennessey Typhoon
Suspension: Whoopies and toggles
Insulation: DIY UQ ad TQ

Post by tennistime99 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Unfortunately moderation is like a home owners association... It starts out as a good idea to deal with the worst offenders, but once those are gone they get busy trying to find things to do with themselves.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by southernfire97 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:06 pm

GregD wrote:
southernfire97 wrote:That bunch of soft skinned, liberal, whiny ass people over there drive me CRAZY!!!!!

Is THAT where all the liberals are? I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
If your looking for libs, head that direction. You will find plenty, in short order.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:24 pm

While I'm not surprised by any of the comments above. I think that another thing to consider beyond what's been said is, size matters.

When a community is small and growing, there is, in many cases, a personal real life relationship between some of the participants and when we know one another, we tend to be nicer. As groups grow, a sense of anonymity as a member of a crowd can come into being and the potential for snarkyness can increase.

Regardless of size, as long as opinions can be respected and folks remain nice to each other, that's the place I prefer to invest my time and emotional energy.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:13 pm

UncleMJM wrote: Regardless of size, as long as opinions can be respected and folks remain nice to each other, that's the place I prefer to invest my time and emotional energy.
And there it is... Even when I joined over there it was quite large, but there were a few members that were good about answering all my newb questions nicely and that meant a lot.

For an example of how things regularly happen over there now take this as an example.

Simple question is: what are the continuous loops made out of on the hammocks for AGG's video. The answer of course is 7/64 Amsteel. But in six responses:

All of them persuaded him to use a different suspenion
Two told him to get a new hammock
4 or 5 told him to use whoopie slings instead
ONE comment directly answered the question before telling him to look at other suspensions

Maybe they think they are helping... I dunno. But the way it comes across to me is people trying to look like hammock experts to the newb.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Well;

I'm the Owner, Admin, or Moderator of about a dozen Facebook Groups and this one.

I can tell you that the job is as hard as you want to make it.

The more rules you make up, the harder you have to work.

Then, when you find out how hard you're working, you start making changes to lighten the load you've given yourself.

Those changes usually are at the expense of the users, and that's usually because you've made it harder on them to do things to make things easier on you.

Those changes also usually take the form of new rules.

Then, when you find out how hard you're working, you start making changes to lighten the load you've given yourself.

Those changes usually are at the expense of the users, and that's usually because you've made it harder on them to do things to make things easier on you.

And so it goes.

(My apologies to Kurt Vonnegut)
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:40 pm

southernfire97 wrote:Adjusted the title appropriately...
May I respectufully suggest you had it right the first time, I really hate that page, and yes I did try to post there and gain information.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:38 pm

sarge wrote:Well;

I'm the Owner, Admin, or Moderator of about a dozen Facebook Groups and this one.

I can tell you that the job is as hard as you want to make it.

My O/A/M list is a bit smaller than Sarge juggles but the comments above and the others in his post are accurate.

I find that the bottom line rule of, "Be Nice" covers most of what concerns me.

I was a member of Whiteblaze when there was an active hammock section that spun off and became HammockForums about 10 years ago. It was an amazing community for many years that had none of the snarkyness that had infected WB. It was small, growing, welcoming, and a great place for learning and innovation. Somewhere along the way things changed. Posts changed from helpful instruction and shared exploring of concepts like whoopie slings, hammock construction, and insulation to where little of that was seen.

My hope is, regardless of our size here, that we hold true to the values that were part of the catalyst that brought us into existence.

bodhran4me
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bodhran4me » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:57 pm

I really LOVE you guys ! :P

Okay, but seriously folks...

I just replied to a post by a hammock newbie on another forum . Just a quick rundown of my experiences with several hammocks . Of course Shug and hammockforums had already been referenced by other posts. I added Hammockhangers to the list of possible resources. I did caution the poster to be sure to read the rules on the other site before posting (guns, religion etc.) Shug is of course Shug and his newbie series is great , but I also told the OP to check his music vids. I finished by saying all were good sources and despite being different that remains true

I do like the fact that the rules here consist of 'play nice and try not to be rude'. I don't need to worry about mentioning banned words or having my thread moved to a 'members only' section if I am looking for advice on a camp mat or some such. I also get that if you own the forum you get to decide how to run it. I still use both forums as well as others. It is kind of the difference between meeting your cousins at Grandma's place where there are more rules and having them at your place you you can be a bit louder, have more free range and can stay up later so long as ya don't burn the place down. Both events are fun and you look forward to it, but they are different. Lets just hope we don't burn our house down. Even in this thread, a friendly chiding from 'uncle' Sarge and the OP changed the title all without the threat of the BANHAMMER.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:02 pm

That wasn't a threat by Sarge, not even close. Just him stating that the word hate is a very strong word, which should be be reserved solely for talking about Islamic terrorists and Officers when you were in the military.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Scuba wrote:That wasn't a threat by Sarge, not even close. Just him stating that the word hate is a very strong word, which should be be reserved solely for talking about Islamic terrorists and Officers when you were in the military.
And people who eat puppies.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”