Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Four Fires This Week in Dolly Sods Wilderness

Post by Mophead » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:28 am

After some dry weather over the last several weeks coincided with some peak tourist traffic are a total of four fires burning as of last weekend in Dolly Sods Wilderness. Three have been determined to be from unattended camp fires. Such a shame; this area is one of the coolest places on the east coast. It's the highest plateau on the eastern seaboard. You can hike for 5 days and feel like your in alaska/canada, high grasslands, bogs, deep appalachia... sometimes another planet. The red (and I mean RED) sphagnum moss in combination with the bright red blueberry bushes in the fall are amazing.

Just a reminder to be thoughtful when you're out there and put your fires out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mlsuIQ96oo

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Re: Four Fires This Week in Dolly Sods Wilderness

Post by Idaho Hanger » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks for the reminder.

We had 180,000 acres burn this summer through some beautiful country. Still burning.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Four Fires This Week in Dolly Sods Wilderness

Post by Mophead » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:Thanks for the reminder.

We had 180,000 acres burn this summer through some beautiful country. Still burning.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully no homes destroyed, although, I imagine at 180,000 acres the odds are not so good.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Re: Four Fires This Week in Dolly Sods Wilderness

Post by Idaho Hanger » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:54 pm

It's at 188k acres, there were some homes lost. That country is so steep there have been areas where airplanes were the only way to fight it. The official report says it won't be out until snow puts it out. Fortunately there may be snow as early as tomorrow above 7000 feet which will start the process. I'm scared to go up there now. I'm not a tree hugger, but seeing that much beautiful country burned is going to hurt. I have a lot of memories of camping and fishing in those areas.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”