4dBIRDS
Reactions:
Hammock: Kammok Roo
Tarp: Kammok Glider
Suspension: Kammok Python Straps
Insulation:

Guadalupe Peak National Park

Post by 4dBIRDS » Tue May 16, 2017 4:28 pm

Overnight backpacking trip coming up to Guadalupe Peak... I've seen conflicting reports on hammock camping in the park. Anyone know if there are places to hang in the Guadalupe Peak Trail backcountry campground? Have also read conflicting reports on what the rangers do/don't allow as far as hammocking. Any info would be much appreciated.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Guadalupe Peak National Park

Post by sarge » Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 pm

IIRC, Alphabet was told he had to take his down and surn near got a ticket for hanging it.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:19 am

I have found mixed results when backpacking and camping in that area. There is a major emphasis on not harming the trees as this whole area was heavily logged during the mining glory days. I actually got a ticket for hanging a hammock up in Big Bend National Park (Chisos Basin in 2014) and then the following year saw someone hanging a hammock in Rio Grande Village campground and was told it was okay. They then following year, I was told that you could not hang anything, not even a lantern, from a tree. I have found, regardless of the park-be it a State Park or a National Park, that it varies year-to-year with no clear defined rules regarding hammocks. I know that there are hammock campers working with the rangers in educating them on how it is better to hammock camp than tent camp when it comes to "Leave No Trace" and land impact, but it will be a slow and tedious process.

My recommendation would be to take both a tent and a hammock setup and ask when you get there. If they say yes, then use the hammock. If they say no, then you have a tent as backup.

Another option is to get a lightweight hammock stand from which to suspend your hammock. I know of at least 2 different cottage vendors making setups that can be carried while backpacking. If weight is not an issue, then I would recommend the TATO hammock stand that can be carried in your car. This will allow you to set up your hammock sans trees.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu May 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Let me know how it goes; I've been meaning to make a trip that way in the near future. I agree with Polkster though, be prepared to sleep in the dirt.

McKittrick Canyon has a few trees I've heard, but probably "no touchy" rules. I got a set of these from tiggzcraftworkz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q0WGhU ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o0IU0- ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HhBEA8 ... sp=sharing

I have yet to try and backpack in with it though for a "no trees" option. Let me get this youngest critter graduated, and I'll see about getting out more further west.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm

DD Hammocks is selling that hammock stand here in the USA. Here is there link: Ultralight Hammock Stand

There is also another cottage vendor that is selling something very similar but her poles are used double duty as hiking poles so you don't have to carry as much weight. The only caveat I see to that setup is after you hang up your hammock; if you want to go for a hike, you don't have any trekking poles as they are being used to hold up your hammock. I guess if you wait to set up right before it got dark that would be a mute point, but for me that wouldn't work. I looked for the link to her site but couldn't find it. If I do find it, I will post it here on this thread.

I have tried out the hammock stand from DD hammocks back a couple years ago when the original designer was at one of the Fairfield hangs. I really liked it. I am seriously considering getting one for backpacking.

There is definitely a fiddle factor to them but if you going where there will be little change to connect to a tree, then I would think this would be your best option if you want to sleep suspended in your hammock.

Return to “Places to Hang and Trip Reports”