johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

First Ever Backyard Hang

Post by johnspenn » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:38 pm

My wife and i have backpacked/camped out at least once a month since April through October, and in some months more than one trip. However, this Sunday November 20 I will spend the night hanging in my backyard for the first time.

I'm doing it for a couple of reasons- 1. I made it a personal goal to go 12 months in a row spending at least one night outdoors hanging. 2. I purchased a new 30* +2 TQ from MAMW and 20* UQ from UGQ, and so far I really haven't been able to put them to the test. Overnight Sunday it is supposed to go below freezing here for the first time this year, and i figure that will give me a good indication about whether my quilts will perform as advertised, and if for some reason I get too cold the house will make a convenient bail-out. I have promised myself that I will only bail if I start shivering!

My wife is fighting a cold and won't be able to join me (she's cold natured anyway, and probably wouldn't regardless).

I've done a lot of testing and adjusting in my back yard so hanging back there won't be anything unusual. My biggest concern is all the noise that comes along with suburbia... might not be a very restful night.

I'll check back and let y'all know how it went. Wish me luck!

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: First Ever Backyard Hang

Post by hikehunter » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:21 pm

I like getting out in the back yard to hang, from time to time. The weather is cool and it is the best time right now. Hang Safe & Have Fun. :D
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:20 am

I have been camping and hanging all over the place but I have never done the back yard. I can imagine you are right about the sounds of suburbia. Thankfully I live out in the sticks so the only sounds I'm afraid of are the coyotes that come up in the back yard at night!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

johnspenn
Reactions:

Post by johnspenn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:37 pm

hikehunter wrote:I like getting out in the back yard to hang, from time to time. The weather is cool and it is the best time right now. Hang Safe & Have Fun. :D
I will thanks. No great excitement but i am looking forward to seeing how my quilts perform.
ADVStrom14 wrote:I have been camping and hanging all over the place but I have never done the back yard. I can imagine you are right about the sounds of suburbia. Thankfully I live out in the sticks so the only sounds I'm afraid of are the coyotes that come up in the back yard at night!
Yeah I imagine there will be some traffic noise, dogs barking and etc. A mid-day nap may be in order for tomorrow! My goal is to stay warm through the night- sleep is bonus!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Testing stuff like quilts is best done in the backyard. You need a nice warm bed to get to in a jiffy if you've overestimated the quilt's performance.

Ask me how I know------
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

johnspenn
Reactions:

Post by johnspenn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:39 pm

sarge wrote:Testing stuff like quilts is best done in the backyard. You need a nice warm bed to get to in a jiffy if you've overestimated the quilt's performance.

Ask me how I know------
I agree. I may not have a dedicated "Hammock Lab" like Derek Hansen but I have my back yard to test things out.

johnspenn
Reactions:

Post by johnspenn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Outside now. 38 and falling. Nice and toasty so far!

Update: Made it through the night. Got cold around 4am, reached under my hammock for my lightweight fleece jacket that I had stashed there and put it under my TQ covering my torso. That did the trick and I warmed back up nicely until I got up at 6.

It only got down to 34. I'm not sure how much colder I could have gone with my set. I was disappointed though, the forecast was for 30. I'll have to try again!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:32 am

Only a hammocker testing gear gets dissapointed when the temps don't go to 30----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:45 am

sarge wrote:Only a hammocker testing gear gets dissapointed when the temps don't go to 30----
I've got a new down quilt with 4" of loft to test out and we've only been getting down to 28 or so. I feel your pain. I need single digits, preferably below zero.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:24 pm

I have tested my setup in the backyard for over a year, first test in a overnight situation was at Fairfield this month and it was a success though my upper arms and side got cold, I stayed out all night and walked 14 miles the next day. Now can someone get me the proper boots :D I did not have either a pair of sneakers or hiking boots with me at camp.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

johnspenn
Reactions:

Post by johnspenn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:19 am

At least now I'm confident I can get down to freezing with my setup. I'm looking forward to even colder temps. I want to add a PLUQ on bottom and use a 0* TQ I picked up from a member at the other forum, see if I can get through a low 20's night with that.

I really didn't think I'd enjoy the experience but I actually did.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 am

johnspenn wrote:At least now I'm confident I can get down to freezing with my setup. I'm looking forward to even colder temps. I want to add a PLUQ on bottom and use a 0* TQ I picked up from a member at the other forum, see if I can get through a low 20's night with that.

Not to be a One Note Wonder, but a Costco quilt might be a better alternative to the PLUQ. Just make sure the down isn't compressed by the quilt below it.
My You Tube Channel

johnspenn
Reactions:

Post by johnspenn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:10 pm

sarge wrote:Not to be a One Note Wonder, but a Costco quilt might be a better alternative to the PLUQ. Just make sure the down isn't compressed by the quilt below it.
I'm sure a CDT would work, but I have a PLUQ and not a CDT so I'm sticking with the PLUQ for now :D

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:32 am

johnspenn wrote:At least now I'm confident I can get down to freezing with my setup. I'm looking forward to even colder temps. I want to add a PLUQ on bottom and use a 0* TQ I picked up from a member at the other forum, see if I can get through a low 20's night with that.

One night if you are feeling wild and crazy, you should try vapor barrier clothing. Or, if insulation on the bottom(and not the top) is an issue, just try a space blanket(which is a VB also) between your hammock and UQ. What the heck, if it stinks, you can always go in to bed and try again the next night without it. Or, you may end up amazed. Or not. (having made that recommendation, let me add: just make sure you understand VB theory and practice before hand, or you are almost guaranteed to not like the results)
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

johnspenn
Reactions:

Post by johnspenn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:50 pm

BillyBob66 wrote:One night if you are feeling wild and crazy, you should try vapor barrier clothing. Or, if insulation on the bottom(and not the top) is an issue, just try a space blanket(which is a VB also) between your hammock and UQ. What the heck, if it stinks, you can always go in to bed and try again the next night without it. Or, you may end up amazed. Or not. (having made that recommendation, let me add: just make sure you understand VB theory and practice before hand, or you are almost guaranteed to not like the results)
I've read some about VBLs but I'm not sure I'm prepared to try staying outside in that kind of cold (single digits/sub-zero from what I've read). Time will tell, but for now this Jawja boy just wants to be able to stay out for most of the year and take it easy during the extreme times.

Return to “Places to Hang and Trip Reports”