ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Central and Eastern NC hanging spots

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:06 am

Anyone know of any good places in central and eastern NC to camp/hang besides at the state/national parks? I know there are some awesome spots in the western part of the state but I live in the eastern part. I am certainly not opposed to traveling, and fully intend to do so as much as I can, but my weekends are not always conducive to long hauls. Plus I'd like to do some exploring in my general neck of the woods. Thanks in advance!

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Central and Eastern NC hanging spots

Post by Scuba » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:58 pm

I did a lot of camping in the Fort Bragg area :)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Scuba wrote:I did a lot of camping in the Fort Bragg area :)
I'm not really familiar with that area. What area were you in? Did you go to a camp ground or did you stealth camp somewhere?
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:47 pm

ADVStrom14 wrote:
Scuba wrote:I did a lot of camping in the Fort Bragg area :)
I'm not really familiar with that area. What area were you in? Did you go to a camp ground or did you stealth camp somewhere?
You could say it was stealth camping. It was running around with Special Forces at the JFK Special Warfare Center. I was there for the Special Forces Medic course in the 80's, did Robin Sage there in the late 80s, then was stationed there when I joined Special Tactics. With the exception of Robin Sage this was all on military property. If I recall correctly, Uwharrie National Forest is less than an hour from Fayetteville/Ft Bragg.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:17 am

Hey Jessica, not sure how far East you are but you might try Uwharrie Forest. They have campgrounds, but there's plenty of primitive camping there as well that you can backpack into. They've also got some 4x4 trails and canoe/kayak trails. A little bit of everything. It's a nice area.

I'm down in Charlotte, so I tend to head to the mountains most of the time which means I don't know the Eastern part of the state as well as I should. If you come across a hanger named "Pappy Amos" or "Hotlips" they could probably give you some good advice. Pappy lives out near the cost and Hotlips near Raleigh.

Good luck
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:21 am

Oh yeah, the "Halloween Hunger Hang" is happening again at Merchants Millpond. I've heard that has a good turnout and there'll be loads of folks there with some good info to share. There's a bunch of us getting together in Linville Gorge at the same time so I won't make it out.

Brian
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Re: RE: Re: Central and Eastern NC hanging spots

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:00 pm

brianb2 wrote:Oh yeah, the "Halloween Hunger Hang" is happening again at Merchants Millpond. I've heard that has a good turnout and there'll be loads of folks there with some good info to share. There's a bunch of us getting together in Linville Gorge at the same time so I won't make it out.

Brian
Thanks for the info Brian. I was excited about the Halloween Hang u Tim I realized it's the weekend I'll be in Indianapolis. I have been looking at Uwharrie and and am planning to make a trip there sometime in the near future. Its not that far from here. Was just wondering about cool "off the beaten path" things people may know about.

Jes

Return to “Places to Hang and Trip Reports”