mondo
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Woodland Caribou Canoe Trip

Post by mondo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Great trip report and fantastic information. I am headed up to do a trip out of Lund this summer and found your post loaded with information. Thank you. You mentioned a depth finder that was marking fish. What kind do you use? I have a Humminbird that I've used on fly in trips but it doesn't mount well to a Kevlar canoe and is cumbersome to carry across the portages. Something lighter and more portable would be nice to have. Again, thanks for the great report.

John

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:56 am

John
Glad you enjoyed the report and hope the information will help you. The fish detector I used was a no longer made Eagle Fish Mark 320. I have since sold it and wish I had not. I now have a HummingBird PMAX175 which draws less power and is lighter but has trouble finding the bottom particularly in the 15 to 25 foot range with surface clutter. If you are headed up Larus Creek you should have a saw bigger than a pocket saw. I now have a Silky Zubat 330 which I used on a trip last week and found it to be an excellent saw.

mondo
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by mondo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks for the quick reply. We (my boy and I) are definitely not headed to Larus. We are planning on doing an out and back to Linge Lake between Young and Olive Lakes spending a lot of time fishing as opposed to traveling. We did a trip out of Johnson last summer and made our way to Rostoul and looping through Mexican Hat on our way back to Johnson. Awesome trip but didn't leave enough time for fishing (We really like to fish). I will continue to look for a depth finder more suitable for canoeing. Are you taking another trip this year? Can't wait for late July when we will be back in WCPP.

John

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:43 am

John
I am doing a trip like I have not done for a long time. A base camp trip with a 10 year old in July. I have forgotten how to plan a trip like that.
My son has a family of his own and is too busy to go with me. I am glad for the trips we took while he was a youngster. Your son will grow fast you only have a few more years before he has a life outside your home that will keep him occupied.

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:23 am

Not sure how I missed this awesome trip report until now. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Ksbcrocks
Glad you enjoyed it.

edventure
Reactions:
Hammock: Hennessy
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by edventure » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:56 pm

I spent 21 days in WCPP with a Wilderness Education Association class from SIU back in May of 1998. Reading your blog was a wonderful throwback by reliving the amazing trip to the unspoiled habitat of Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. Thanks for the great story Magic Paddler.

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:31 am

Thanks for reading it. Looks like photobucket will not let you see the pictures.

Return to “Places to Hang and Trip Reports”