The No-Sew Wearable Top Quilt (3 Part Series)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

The No-Sew Wearable Top Quilt (3 Part Series)

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Putting all three right here in the same post. These modifications to the Costco Down Throw Blanket can also be done to other blankets and quilts, and lends itself particularly well to the USGI Poncho Liner. Part 1 is making a Down Cape, Part 2 shows how to make that Cape into a Top Quilt, and Part 3 shows how to make that into a "booster" for your Underquilt. This last one in partuclar should be very useful for folks who use a PLUQ but still can't afford to upgrade to a big boy down underquilt.

https://youtu.be/B6MVUCEho2U

https://youtu.be/KDdo5IJ5wwQ

https://youtu.be/0MEYDgXylLs

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

gfstanley
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: The No-Sew Wearable Top Quilt (3 Part Series)

Post by gfstanley » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:36 pm

I really like your series on the creative things you can do with the costco down throws. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:13 pm

gfstanley wrote:I really like your series on the creative things you can do with the costco down throws. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us.
Thanks for watching!

I might have one more in me if I can figger our one vexing little problem with the concept.

And thanks for the compliment, although I'll not claim a "wealth" of knowledge.

As we say down here in Texas:

Even a blind hog will find an acorn every now and then.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Snakemonkey555
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Snakemonkey555 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:16 am

Hi All,

Haven't posted much her, still new to the site. I wanted to add some photos to the Costco Quilt UQ build (following sarges video). After DIYing the UQ and after speaking to Sarge, I sewed channels on all four sides vs channels at the head and foot. Sarge also gave me some suggestions on how to get the most coverage out of the booster. (I am 5'10" @ 220lbs)

As far as the booster, I am going to use two, as seen in the photo. I haven't started attaching the boosters yet, just wanted to lay them out.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/Snakemonkey555/story

Here in NY it can get mighty cold at night, so as the weather gets colder I can add the 2nd or the 3rd booster and vice-a-versa. In theory, the UQ and the two boosters should get me down to 20-30 degrees. Planning a two nighted in a few weeks, lets see how it goes.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:56 am

Looking good.

I see you're staggering the seams to keep the cold air from coming through.
My You Tube Channel

Snakemonkey555
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Snakemonkey555 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Yes, as per your suggestions, trying to stagger the seams as much as possible. ;) ;) ;)

Return to “Costco Down Throw Blanket DIY”