brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Re: Costco Down Throw Blanket Product Overview & Top Quilt Build

Post by brianb2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:04 pm

The first test I did with mine was unaltered as well. Hade the same problem of missing having a footbox. Next night I just tied up the end with an rubber bad I had. Made all the difference.

Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

SuperflyMD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SuperflyMD » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:39 pm

Anybody with size 12s or bigger try out this foot box yet? My dogs get a little claustrophobic.

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:19 am

SuperflyMD wrote:Anybody with size 12s or bigger try out this foot box yet? My dogs get a little claustrophobic.
Tried mine last night. No issues with the size of the foot box at all. With a diagonal lay it seems my size 12 feet are more along the side of the hammock. The topquilt follows that same curve, so my feet have more sideways in the foot box. Make sense?
I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe.

Loneoak
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Loneoak » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:44 am

sarge wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5zAwvs ... e=youtu.be

Taking the Hammock DIY World by storm are these inexpensive down quilts from Costco. Here's an overview of the product, and a real quick Top Quilt build that you can do yourself in less time than it takes to make a video about it. We'll be doing an Underquilt in about a week.
Thank you sir

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:28 am

Loneoak wrote:
sarge wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5zAwvs ... e=youtu.be

Taking the Hammock DIY World by storm are these inexpensive down quilts from Costco. Here's an overview of the product, and a real quick Top Quilt build that you can do yourself in less time than it takes to make a video about it. We'll be doing an Underquilt in about a week.
Thank you sir

Thanks for watching!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Dan Berry
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Dan Berry » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:11 am

Looking Forward to that underquilt build sarge! You guys have a great hangers place here can't wait to explore the forum! :-D

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Dan Berry wrote:Looking Forward to that underquilt build sarge! You guys have a great hangers place here can't wait to explore the forum! :-D
Thanks for watching, Dan, and thanks for helping HammockHangers grow!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Grannypat
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Grannypat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks for making that video. Looks perfect for a summer quilt without breaking the bank.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Grannypat wrote:Thanks for making that video. Looks perfect for a summer quilt without breaking the bank.
Thanks for watching!

I've got two goals in mind with the videos, well three actually. First I want to provide information to folks new to the hobby that this thing doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg, second I want to focus somewhat on the South in general and the Gulf Coast in particular as I feel the industry tends to focus on the right and left hand coasts, and third I want to have a little bit of fun.

So far, I think I'm doing OK.
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:18 pm

sarge wrote:
Grannypat wrote:Thanks for making that video. Looks perfect for a summer quilt without breaking the bank.
Thanks for watching!

I've got two goals in mind with the videos, well three actually. First I want to provide information to folks new to the hobby that this thing doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg, second I want to focus somewhat on the South in general and the Gulf Coast in particular as I feel the industry tends to focus on the right and left hand coasts, and third I want to have a little bit of fun.

So far, I think I'm doing OK.
A noble effort then. I think a good video or article would be something like I did years ago about "Dirtbaggin' and Deal Shopping". Basically how to get into the sport cheap. Another good idea we had once was the $300 challenge which was to build a kit for backpacking that would cost less than $300 and have a base weight under 15 pounds. Tricks included using things you probably already had around the house and really didn't need to buy, or the things that you can find cheap regularly at thrift stores.

So if you had a tarp bought from wal-mart, a tablecloth, some rope, a couple of ratchet straps, a sewing machine, a closed cell foam pad, and a couple of these throws you could probably get into it pretty cheap. The only part I don't have a great, cheap, and light solution for off the top of my head is for a tarp.
No Sniveling!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Gotta tell ya that your dirtbaggin stuff had a big impact on me. In fact, you might even say that it was the inspiration for the quest for cheaper stuff.

The tarp thing is the dilemma. DIY is the cheapest I think one could go, but the price for most tarps almost makes that a wash. That WOOT Yukon Tarp is probably the best deal at $20 when it comes available.

Its almost ironic that after the hammock, the insulation is cheapest if all you want to do is get down to around 40.

And I find it kinda neat that the original thing that got me started on this--- a +/- $81 system using a $55 Underquilt from a SnugPack Jungle Blanket and $26 Top Quilt from a cheap Chinese sleeping bag has gotten down to a +/- $50 system using a couple of cheap throw blankets.
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Well what you may think of doing is something like a $100 Challenge. Build a 3 season hammock kit for less than $100 that weighs less than 5 pounds total. See what cool ideas other people come up with. I can just about guarantee that folks will come up with things we've never thought of. Maybe 5 is too low, but it should have a realistic weight limit IMO.
No Sniveling!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm about half way there with a two pound insulation system. Of course, that's a three season system for south of the Mason Dixon line-----
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:27 pm

I think 5 pounds total would be achievable. If I were creating this thread (and maybe I will), the following rules apply:

1. 5 pounds or less includes hammock, suspension, packing, bug protection, and tarp. It would also include top insulation and bottom insulation.

2. It would assume the perspective buyer would not have anything to begin with. No sleeping bag or pad to bring over.

3. You wouldn't have to actually build this, but it couldn't be made from unobtanium or unrealistically i.e. I would build a 2.5 ounce hammock using Dutchware 0.67 argon to get below the weight limit.

4. MYOG is permitted.

I can't think of anything else. I had actually considered such a challenge called the $50 challenge that would have the submitter build an entire basic hammock kit for less than $50 and 2 pounds that would include hammock, suspension, straps, tarp, bug protection, and packing.
No Sniveling!

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Costco Down Throw Blanket Product Overview & Top Quilt Build

Post by brianb2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:40 pm

That's a good challenge and worthy of a thread. I would bucket them into the $50 and $100 challenges. Would also insist that the solution be repeatable. I think you called that out with your unobtanium statement. No exotic eBay finds or garage sale scores etc. winner gets bragging rights until he/she is unseated.

Funny, when I first read Sgt Rocks post, I thought his bullet #1 was calling for a 1.5lb system. Yikes.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Return to “Costco Down Throw Blanket DIY”