SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Costco Down Throw Blanket Product Overview & Top Quilt Build

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:49 pm

I agree, no exotic ebay finds. But a fairly normal used gear price would be allowed. Say you could find a used Hennessy diamond tarp. Not a great solution but it would work to get into hammock camping until one could find a better upgrade.

I made my first DIY hammock for about $12. It is totally doable.

No Sniveling!

PREACHER
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PREACHER » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Great vids, as always Sarge.
I was wondering what the temp range would be for stacking two of these for a topquilt? If you could stack two together, perhaps slightly off center, you would eliminate much of the sewn-through heat-loss problem, I imagine.

I imagine you would end up w a 2lb topquilt for $40 capable of pretty low temps, that is STILL lighter and more compressible than a cheap $40 sleeping bad equivalent.

Thoughts?

PREACHER
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PREACHER » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:44 pm

Actually, scratch what I just said. Let's just wait for the results of Keehar's double layer. :p

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:13 am

PREACHER wrote:Great vids, as always Sarge.
I was wondering what the temp range would be for stacking two of these for a topquilt? If you could stack two together, perhaps slightly off center, you would eliminate much of the sewn-through heat-loss problem, I imagine.

I imagine you would end up w a 2lb topquilt for $40 capable of pretty low temps, that is STILL lighter and more compressible than a cheap $40 sleeping bad equivalent.

Thoughts?
Thanks for watching!

I went out last night and bought three more, two of them to make a doubled UQ using the "staggered" method you mention. The other will be a TQ based on this Facebook post.

The twist will be that I'll use snaps so that it can also be used as a TQ similar to my Underwoobie design.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Costco Down Throw Blanket DIY”