Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Costco Down Throw Blanket Product Overview & Top Quilt Build

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5zAwvs ... e=youtu.be

Taking the Hammock DIY World by storm are these inexpensive down quilts from Costco. Here's an overview of the product, and a real quick Top Quilt build that you can do yourself in less time than it takes to make a video about it. We'll be doing an Underquilt in about a week.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Spaceman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Costco Down Throw Blanket Product Overview & Top Quilt Build

Post by Spaceman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:59 pm

You didn't waste any time throwing that together. Looks great. Looking forward to the underquilt video.

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:22 am

That looks very cool. A great ultralight summer quilt at a good intro price point for someone getting into to hammocking. I may get a couple for my sons.
No Sniveling!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:15 am

Spaceman wrote:You didn't waste any time throwing that together. Looks great. Looking forward to the underquilt video.
Thanks for watching! With people buying these things left and right I figgered a video on a build would be welcome. I still have a bunch of JC Penny down jackets I bought back in the day before I started the DIY thing. I figure that some similar videos available at the time might have made up for any lack of gumption I had and gotten me up off high center to make something with them.
SGT Rock wrote:That looks very cool. A great ultralight summer quilt at a good intro price point for someone getting into to hammocking. I may get a couple for my sons.
Thanks for watching! That's where I'm going with the videos: inexpensive and easy solutions for the Noob. Dead simple projects that won't break the bank if you screw something up but are confidence builders that yeild a useful end product. I'm also kind of centered on the Gulf Coast as I feel the Industry as a whole is geared for the left and right hand coasts and the upper tier of states. This thing will make a decent quilt for 10 months out of the year down here if you pay attention to the weather, pick your dates carefully, and wear a good base layer.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:28 pm

I like it. Personally I feel that the simple closed cell foam pad is the best entry level hammock bottom insulation there is. And after 15 years of hiking with it I prefer it even though I own some very nice quilts. I personally have a belief that pads are considered "low class" and that many hammockers feel to be with it, they have to eventually move up to underquilts in order to be a "real hammocker". But, that said, maybe your next project could be an underquilt out of one. Maybe there could even be two 3/4 quilts to come out of one Down Throw.

But then I feel the same way about a lot of the hardware and monster tarps people hang with. I realize that this is really because of the viewpoint I come from and I should leave it alone as it is a bad idea to paint large groups of hammockers with a wide brush. I've learned that lesson a time or two 8-) .
No Sniveling!

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:20 pm

SGT Rock wrote:... pads are considered "low class" and that many hammockers feel to be with it...
There is a bit of a click or sheep mentality, but what do I know, I primarily use an external backpack. Baaaaaa.

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Because you are a nutbag LOL.
No Sniveling!

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:16 pm

That would make me a ram.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:17 pm

That looks cool and relatively easy to do! Like the water intro also. I did catch that to stitch the bottom closed you place the short side stitch to the middle.

Good visuals...

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:09 pm

I made mine today. Mine came a couple inches smaller, and I had already thought it would be too short to just sew up the end. I cut off some squares and used them to make a foot box. It's down to 14 ounces, so it weighs the same as my 2.5 climashield quilt that cost me $100 dollars to make, and it packs down smaller too. 48" wide and comes up to my eyes at 6 feet tall.

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:12 pm

I like the foot box bottom. What does the finish quilt weigh without stuff sack?
No Sniveling!

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:38 pm

My current scale won't do anything more detailed than by the ounce. I used to use a nice food scale but when my brother moved out it went with him. It was hovering between 13 and 14 inside the included stuff sack. Since I just cut off two columns of baffles, it's rectangular, and you can tell it's got some extra room still. If you were to taper from top to bottom by another square you could save the weight of a whole other column. If the whole quilt weighs 16 ounces, that's 1.6 extra ounces for the losing. You'd have to cut the footbox smaller to fit too, so there's a few more grams.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Nice. When you told me about the footbox thing, I had something totally different in my head. I do like the way it came out.

At the temps this thing is good for, I wouldn't be too concerned that it doesn't cover the head. Woulda been perfect for last weekend.
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:47 pm

would have been perfect on my hike this summer.
No Sniveling!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:21 am

gmcpcs wrote:That looks cool and relatively easy to do! Like the water intro also. I did catch that to stitch the bottom closed you place the short side stitch to the middle.

Good visuals...

Take it easy,
GMCPCS

Thanks, Patrick.

The water comes from a visit that Significant Other and I made to a B & B in Comfort.

And easy is what I'm shooting for in all of these. I know that many, if not most, of the people who go to YouTube to look at DIY videos are relatively new to the whole thing, so I'm trying to show them easy projects that are confidence and skill builders. Making one of these and an Underquilt from another throw blanket might give someone the skills and confidence it takes to make a twenty degree down quilt.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Costco Down Throw Blanket DIY”