ezadventurer
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Costco Down Throw Blanket Product Overview & Top Quilt Build

Post by ezadventurer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:45 pm

Nice video Sarge. On the dedication at the end, I noticed one of the fellas with a Sherlock staff and it reminded me of quite a few hikes in the N. GA area I used to do in my pre hammocking days. Anyhow, look forward to meeting up at Fairfield in Nov; in fact, I am there right now.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:21 pm

ezadventurer wrote:Nice video Sarge. On the dedication at the end, I noticed one of the fellas with a Sherlock staff and it reminded me of quite a few hikes in the N. GA area I used to do in my pre hammocking days. Anyhow, look forward to meeting up at Fairfield in Nov; in fact, I am there right now.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk
Thanks for watching EZ.

That's my Dad and I onl the Long Trail in 1983. I'm the good looking kid on the left. Both staffs would have been Dad's as I was limited on what I could bring on the airplane from Texas. He had a place there less than a mile from the Clarendon Shelter on the AT just outside Rutland. In the pic we're about 50 or so miles north of Killington headed south to end up at his place. Gotta think that was likely the best two week vacation I ever had in my life.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks for the video Sarge. I picked up a couple of these a few weeks ago and just finished making a top quilt (following your video) and then an underquilt. Did a two layer underquilt using a poncho liner I had laying around and the down throw. Cut the throw to 45" wide, and cut the poncho liner to 48". Waiting on the shockcord and cordlocks to show up from Paracord Planet to get it finished. Going on a 3 day hike with a friend in about a week and a half, so I'll be able to see how it works out. Looks like night time temps will be in the mid 40's, should be good test. On a side note, last week I couldn't spell sewing machine, now I'm using one! My wife came home as I was starting on the underquilt. As soon as she finished laughing, she started helping me pin the two layers together. Went much better with her help.
I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks for watching!

Yah, I'm waiting on some shock cord myself for the UQ build video. Would love to see some pics of yours.

I'm taking a bit simpler approach that won't require cutting the throw any.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Does yours have a smell to it? I picked up a second one and it smells very strongly of wet dog, which I know is the down. The first one I got didn't have this problem. I might try washing it in some sports wash.

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:21 am

Neither of mine smells.
I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe.

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:44 am

Let's see if this works.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 am

Size is 45" x 70". Weight as it is now with no shock cord is 26 ounces. I was kind of surprised that it fit back into the stuff sack the throws come with.

onfire
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by onfire » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:43 am

It looks like a great find ... sadly Costco in the UK don't seem to stock them :-(

Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Abner » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:19 am

There isn't a COSCO near me. Is there an alternative ?

Spaceman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Spaceman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:45 am

Keehar wrote:Size is 45" x 70". Weight as it is now with no shock cord is 26 ounces. I was kind of surprised that it fit back into the stuff sack the throws come with.
Is that a woobie sewn to the Costco throw or just camo fabric?

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:07 pm

That indeed is a woobie.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:49 pm

Keehar wrote:That indeed is a woobie.
Awesome
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

SuperflyMD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SuperflyMD » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

We used them unaltered this weekend in combination with sleeping pads--one closed cell and one blow up. Temps ranged from 59 to 94F. At the low end I was slightly chilly but still able to sleep easily. I think with a foot box I wouldn't have even woken up to notice. I'll be doing this as soon as the sewing machine comes out of storage.

Reactions:

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:04 pm

The first test I did with mine was unaltered as well. Hade the same problem of missing having a footbox. Next night I just tied up the end with an rubber bad I had. Made all the difference.

Return to “Costco Down Throw Blanket DIY”