Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Helinox Chair One

Post by Scuba » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Not a real review, just my thoughts.

Available on Amazon for $70-100 depending on color (The tiger blue is available for $70 right now).

The weight is 960g or 30oz. Not light, BUT it is bombproof, supporting up to 320#. Sets up in less than a minute.

It does sit sort of low to the ground, but is better than many camp chair options on old knees. Very comfy sit.

The feet suck, easily sinking into anything other than concrete. They sell bigger feet now ($30 for a set) and new sales might come with them but dont count on it. Mini tennis balls put on the feet are one solution. Here is another i just saw on Amazon:
Two 14" sections of 1" PVC pipe, notch a hole into each end large enough to be able to insert the feet under mild tension. Helinox bag has plenty of room to include these two pipes, you'll never sink into the mud again.
I love my chair. I almost always bring it when hiking. My knees are shot, sitting on the ground sucks, especially here in TX where Fire Ants are always a threat. I paid $75 or so for my multicam model and just picked up a used green model for $60. Both are worth it. Is it worth paying $70-100 for a new one? Do you need a relatively light, bombproof chair that is also comfortable? How much is your comfort worth to you?

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Helinox Chair One

Post by Flatliner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I have two in Coyote Brown (not sure if you can still get them in that color). I agree on the comfort, well worth the weight penalty in my opinion. I used the PVC solution on my last Boundary Waters trip and it works well BUT it needs to be well executed or it slips off the feet easily. This year I am adding some manner of shock cord retainer. Hopefully that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Biker Bob
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Helinox Chair One

Post by Biker Bob » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I got one this winter. My price was better than yours-my credit card points paid for it. It is short.I had a Joey chair which is claimed to be two inches taller-it was taller, until the frame broke. The replacement frame worked but the cover tore all of this with only about five or six uses. Lets hope the Helinox does better. The Kermit chair is as short but with extensions is taller.It will last forever. It is several times as large when packed and with the extensions runs about $175.00 last check. I will like the Helinox. It seems a reasonable compromise.

Bob
Bob

Hangin' on the coast

Return to “Camp Furniture”