Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

About GEAUX Hammock

Post by Latriper » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:15 am

Hi everybody!

I wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little about GEAUX Hammock.
My name is Clark Smith and I am the owner of GEAUX Hammock. I started making hammocks about three years ago to outfit myself and my family. I have been camping most of (almost) 50 years and have always enjoyed being in the woods.
My first overnight came on a scout weekend canoe trip with my son (I was the only hanger in the group). I had made my hammock, my bug net and my rain tarp and as luck would have it, we got a pretty good storm on the first night. Out of all of the tents, I was the only one that didn't get wet and I slept incredible! I was hooked!

I really enjoyed making hammocks and had a few friends request that I make them one. Before I knew it, I had made and sold quite a few hammocks and decided to come up with a name for the hammock. It was my wife who came up with the name. I am not originally from Louisiana but my wife is! Her idea was "GEAUX Hammock". And for those who are not sure how to pronounce that, it is pronounced "Go Hammock".

Things started getting a little crazy. People I didn't even know were sending me messages requesting a hammock. So I decided to pursue this and see if I could fulfill a niche in the hammock world. I have contracted with two retired ladies (and have two more on stand by) that help me keep up with orders.

In the area of the country where I live, hammocks are pretty rare and the hammocks that you do see are almost always one brand. The brand you can buy in a big box store. You know...it starts with E and ends with O. I really feel like GEAUX Hammock has some distinct advantages over that brand. Since GEAUX Hammocks come with (2) 12 foot polyester tree straps the price is equal to that of the “other” brand when you add the cost of their straps. I have read over and over where people say they started with that brand but then moved on to better, more comfortable hammocks. I want to accomplish two things in the area where I live, give people a different choice when they buy a hammock, and sell them a hammock they can start and stay with. I have reached an agreement with a local sporting goods store that will carry the GEAUX Hammock and plan to approach more in the very near future. I invested my money into this, no kick starter or crowd funding (not that there is anything wrong with that). I currently have @ 30 hammocks in stock and another 60 we are working on. I buy all of my components from American companies and in the future, I hope to add other items to the GEAUX Hammock brand so stay tuned.

Please check out my webpage at http://www.geauxhammock.com and my Facebook page.

Thank you and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Clark (latriper)

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Re: About GEAUX Hammock

Post by gmcpcs » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:54 pm

That is an interesting story! Welcome here, and I personally am glad you are making with USA materials.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Great writeup and good story. Welcome to the forums and thank you for being a part of it.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

Latriper
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Latriper » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 am

gmcpcs wrote:That is an interesting story! Welcome here, and I personally am glad you are making with USA materials.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Thanks!
Made in the USA is one of those non negotiable things for me.

Latriper
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Latriper » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:18 am

Baby Huey wrote:Great writeup and good story. Welcome to the forums and thank you for being a part of it.
Thank you!

Return to “Geaux Hammocks”