I Just----I Can't Even----

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

I Just----I Can't Even----

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:58 am

Dang.

Saw this posted to a Facebook Page this morning. Now I'll tell ya right now, I ain't the Ultra Lightest guy out there and deeply believe in HYOH but-----dang.

Heyy everyone new member here! has anyone ever thru hiked the appalachian trail starting in the winter season? I'm experienced from cold weather training from the military but this is my first duo thru hike, starting Jan 1st Ga-Ma! Thanks guys

I'm old school got 2 packs between us 2 sleeping bags, 1 tent, 1 homemade stove, 2 machetes, 1 hatchet, 1 service pupp, smoked deer jerky, food , water, water purifier, my old issued cold weather gear, 2 ponchos, paracord rope, 1 wool blanket, and a crossbow for bear protection.. that's about the load we got
Crossbow?

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: I Just----I Can't Even----

Post by Roche » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:15 am

He said old school, perhaps he served under Napoleon?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:53 am

Roche wrote:He said old school, perhaps he served under Napoleon?
With the crossbow, perhaps with the Sheriff of Nottingham?

Two machetes?

I wonder who filled his head with stories about having to hack through the dense vegetation choking the AT.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:59 am

sarge wrote: Two machetes?

......hack through the dense vegetation choking the AT.
AMAZON Trail?

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:17 pm

It's a winter trek through mountains. Maye they can use the machetes to cut blocks of snow for igloos.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:17 pm

dang. Good luck making 50 miles with all that heavy gear. All the "I'm hitting the AT for a Thru...." and leaving in January....few make it. One I was reading on Trail Journal, well with frost bite damage to all fingers and toes.....he got off in February. He was lucky to make 10 miles in all the snow and ice
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:44 pm

When I did my 138 mile section in Feb. 2015, I was able to do between 9 and 12 miles a day. The snow was deep some days. The trail was icy most days. The micro-spikes were the saving grace item that I had. I had two small pocket knife. and some trek poles.
One time I could not use the hammock....it kept sliding down the trees because of the ice.
I wish that guy loads of luck. :o
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

Return to “The Morning Briefing”