This One Is About Music---and Texas

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

This One Is About Music---and Texas

Post by sarge » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:25 am

I grew up in New Hampshire, but I became a man in Texas. It seemed like it didn't take me long to become a Texican, but a bit longer for Texans to accept me as one. This is as it should be. Things of such import as becoming a Texican should not be quick, easy, or accepted readily by members of the tribe.

What I am deeply appreciative of is having received something that can only be provided by a place like Texas, and something that can only be appreciated with the passage of time and the ability to look back at those things that forms ones life. I was now a man, but without a childhood that matched the time and place where I had become one. There was nothing wrong with my childhood that wasn't wrong with everybody else's in most senses, but I was missing some of the institutional memories of my Texan contemporaries and the stories told them by thier Texas forebears. The solution came in the form of a genre of music originally called Progessive Country that was ruined when music moguls discovered it and re-branded it as Outlaw Country. The good news there is that Progressive Country morphed into Texas Music.

While Progressive Country was many things, the songs that came to me out of that movement that had the most impact are those below. Guy Clark gave me a Texas Grampa that I could imagine with Desperados Waiting For a Train, and Robert Earl Keen gave him a name and a nature in The Front Porch Song. Guy Clark again gave me a story from an older brother in Texas 1947, and Steven Fromholz, God bless Steven Fromholz, was another older brother who gave me a whole family history with his Texas Trilogy.

Wanna grow up in Texas? It'll take about a half an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDVpz-qEnPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDuOGKno0Ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSxs89qT-r0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82E1d-2T0qc

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: This One Is About Music---and Texas

Post by Abner » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Any Texan remember a group named Bubble Puppy?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:45 pm

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 am

Don't forget about that Little Ol' Band From Texas.

https://youtu.be/4vR-9NQAPIA

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:52 am

My You Tube Channel

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 am

One of my favorite Texas rock n roll stories, taking a John Wayne movie line and turning it into a hit song:

https://youtu.be/mc-PfdqKPiQ

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed May 18, 2016 5:56 am

Reviving this thread to announce that yesterday I was saddened by the new that Guy Clark had passed away at the age of 74.

There's a hole in the Heart of Texas today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxgw1XzsW-M
My You Tube Channel

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:00 am

Hey Sarge, we'll definitely have to talk music at the Fall Hang at Lake Fairfield. But before we do, you have homework. Go to heartwornhighways.com and get the CD AND the DVD. That's all I'm gonna say...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:18 am

KINGLONESTAR wrote:Hey Sarge, we'll definitely have to talk music at the Fall Hang at Lake Fairfield. But before we do, you have homework. Go to heartwornhighways.com and get the CD AND the DVD. That's all I'm gonna say...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Got the CD, watched the movie in segments on YouTube.

Sad to say that a good many of those folks have passed on, either in a physical sense or careerwise, some of them never really took off, or were at the end of their career at the time.

David Allan Coe still tours, but he plays mostly in dives that I wouldn't frequent and mostly plays his raunchier tunes. Rodney Crowell is still around, his most recent work bein as music producer on I Saw The Light, a biopic on Hank Williams, which I highly recommend. My favorite song in the movie is The Mercenary Song, and Steve Earle is still around, but he went to New York City and stayed there and got all political and wierd. I don't think I'd spend money to go see him.

The really sad thing is that "Progressive Country", which is what it was called when I first heard it going to college in Denton in 1975, got taken over by the Nashville record label suits who changed it into the whole "Outlaw Country" thing and tossed in a bunch of artists and songs that didn't belong. Back then Willie was just another one of the Progressive artists and took second billing to Jerry Jeff who was at the top of the heap at the time. Progressive Country dang near died commercially until Robert Earl Keen came along and breathed new life into it. The suits have got hold of it again dubbing it "Americana Music", but they're finding more money in the Country Music we have today which seems to be where old rock and roll stars go to die, so they're leaving it more or less alone.

Got a bucket list thing done a couple of years ago. I saw Willis Allan Ramsey at the Muck Duck here in Houston last year. Her wasn't in Heartworn Highways, but he did one of the most perfect albums ever done and was one of the leading lights of the movement.

I'm so old, I remember when Asleep At the Wheel was playing gigs at beer halls in Forth Worth and Dallas----
My You Tube Channel

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 am

sarge wrote:I'm so old, I remember when Asleep At the Wheel was playing gigs at beer halls in Forth Worth and Dallas----
....I think I remember the old KZEW advertising the gigs around DFW.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:56 am

sarge wrote:
I'm so old, I remember when Asleep At the Wheel was playing gigs at beer halls in Forth Worth and Dallas----
I'm not nearly that old, although I first saw them in the late '70's when they used to tour with and open for Ronnie Millsap.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:03 am

rhjanes wrote:
sarge wrote:I'm so old, I remember when Asleep At the Wheel was playing gigs at beer halls in Forth Worth and Dallas----
....I think I remember the old KZEW advertising the gigs around DFW.

In '75, I saw the Lost Gonzo Band, and a lot of local talent, at a small music festival out near Aubrey.
It was supposed to be Jerry Jeff and the Lost Gonzo Band, but he was too drunk to get out of the bus.

Later, I went to Willie's infamous third picnic at Liberty Hill. That was a weekend to remember---although I can't remember most of it.

It was like that back then.
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:05 am

UncleMJM wrote:
sarge wrote:
I'm not nearly that old, although I first saw them in the late '70's when they used to tour with and open for Ronnie Millsap.
That was likely around the same time, maybe a year or two later. There was a brief time when Bob Wills' music was just as popular as Progressive Country, although there are some who would argue they were part and parcel of the whole thing.
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Here's a new sound from Texas that is well worth the listen.

A camp friend of mine who happens to keep a hammock in his gig bag and his band are called Blue Water Highway Band and I'm not sure how to describe the sound, but I know I like it.

Here's a couple to give a taste…

Medicine Man

Steamboat Song

and their newest single…

Speaking of the Devil

Return to “The Morning Briefing”