Deer Season In The SHNF

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Deer Season In The SHNF

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:54 am

Drives me nuts.

First, and mostly, because they restricted camping to designated sites during deer season---no on trail camping. Even the Long Trail in Vermont allows on trail camping during deer season.

But the way they've administered it is, well, "of the Gummint."

Granted, things have improved somewhat. There didn't used to be camps on the trail---you had to camp in the "Hunter's Camps" and the restrictions only applied to "gun season". I never camped in one of those Hunter's Camps but, judging from the stuff left behind at those camps after deer season is over, I won't be planning to. In the last year of this system (2013), the Forest Service decided to make it easy on everybody and designate "deer hunting season" as being between 15 September to 1 January every year. This was supposed to help planning, but what it really did (I think) was help the clerks at SHNF by not making them have to call TPWD to find out what date gun season was going to start.

The "approved campsites" on the trails started last year. Its a decent compromise if you accept ther silliness that its safe to camp on trail when hunting for hogs and coyotes is legal in SHNF (otherwise known as "365 days a year") but it becomes especially dangerous when its legal to hunt deer. They also changed the date for closure to 26 September thru 8 January, in an order dated 25 September 2014---or ten days after everybody had figured the restrictions had started.
EFFECTIVE DATES: September 26, 2014 through September 25, 2019 or until rescinded.
PROHIBITED ACT: Camping is prohibited in the Affected Area from September 26
through January 8 of each year
. This prohibition does not apply in designated campgrounds, designated hunt camps or designated camp
sites which are shown on the attached maps. 36 C.F.R § 261.58(e)
The good news at the time was that the designated "hiker's camp sites" were added and that this procedure was now chisled in stone and everybody could go back to thier rat killin and not worry about anything anymore. This was so settled, in fact, that the dates were included in the Thru Hiker's Guide update in January 2015. This was the document posted on the kiosk at the campsite I was at weekend before last. It kind of peeved me b/c I would have planned a much different hike that weekend had I not been under the impression that we were still operating under the 15 September start date. No biggee, still had a weekend in the woods.

So, we should be good now until 2019, right?

Ummmmmmm, no. This document was put out on Friday last week and includes this paragraph:
All camping in the Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine or Sam Houston National
Forest or the Caddo National Grasslands must be in designated campsites or
developed recreation areas from Sept. 15 through Feb. 1.
But-----

If you call or stop by the SHNF HQ and ask, they will tell you that the camping restrictions start 3 October.

Yannow----

I'm starting to get the feeling that I can just ignore the whole dangting and just camp anywhere I want----

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Deer Season In The SHNF

Post by rhjanes » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks Sarge. Disappointing news on that one link, about the lack of shuttles
Remember, we get 10 percent of the gummint we pay for. Worth every penny.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:45 am

Yep, the lone star hiking trail facebook page gave an October date as well. Maybe with any luck all this confusion will help lift the restrictions completely.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:49 am

This hasn't been just a "bone of contention" for the past 6 years----its been a frikkin T-Rex fossil excavation-----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:38 pm

I understand the frustration that comes with different answers each time you check, but I still see it as a glass half full since there are options beyond hunter camps only. :D

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:22 am

UncleMJM wrote:I understand the frustration that comes with different answers each time you check, but I still see it as a glass half full since there are options beyond hunter camps only. :D
Yah, I get that.

But this crops up every year. Every trip I've ever planned in September gets buggered somehow.

So, from now on, I'm going to pick the dates I like best: it starts the day of Gun Season and ends 1 February.
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 am

sarge wrote:
UncleMJM wrote:I understand the frustration that comes with different answers each time you check, but I still see it as a glass half full since there are options beyond hunter camps only. :D
Yah, I get that.

But this crops up every year. Every trip I've ever planned in September gets buggered somehow.

So, from now on, I'm going to pick the dates I like best: it starts the day of Gun Season and ends 1 February.
Maybe the glass is just the wrong size.

I like the idea of waiting until February for National Forests and go with state parks and private property during hunting seasons.

September is great for birthdays, but in Texas, still a bit too hot to really enjoy the outdoors to the fullest unless lakeside.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 pm

the problem for me is that the SHNF and the LSHT is one of my favorite places to spend an extended weekend, and the best time to get outdoors, temp wise, is the fall, winter and early spring.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “The Morning Briefing”