So I Get This PM on Facebook

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: So I Get This PM on Facebook

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:01 pm

Interesting post script on the original subject of the post.

Turns out he was the Admin of a Facebook Group I asked to join and that's likely why he was looking at my page. Apparently he was screening members for their politics as well as the usual.

I saw WAS for a reason. He was on several other hiking/hammocking/backpacking related pages and was fairly active on some of them, but his posts displayed a certain lack of knowledge and experience---more of the "You should get what I have" variety. I watched him get into a flame war with somebody over Cuben Tarps. One guy let him have it pretty hard and I didn't see him comment any more after that. I went to that FB Group today as part of that new Forum we have (I've been contact Group Admins to see if they want to be listed) and noticed that there's no Admins listed in the member section. I checked back on that message he sent me and apparently he's off Facebook completely now, leaving about 50 people in a Group page with no Admin.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: So I Get This PM on Facebook

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 pm

sarge wrote:I saw WAS for a reason. He was on several other hiking/hammocking/backpacking related pages and was fairly active on some of them, but his posts displayed a certain lack of knowledge and experience---more of the "You should get what I have" variety. I watched him get into a flame war with somebody over Cuben Tarps. One guy let him have it pretty hard and I didn't see him comment any more after that.
There is a good bit of that on any hiking related forum. I think too many times novices (in any endeavor) focus on the gear and not the skills, knowledge, and attitude. Don't get me wrong, gear sort of is important, but there are so many flavors of gear for hammocks out there that exactly what you carry is less important than how you use it. I'll also say I've noticed a couple of internet experts that are very good at what you just mentioned, and sometimes parroting what others have said on other threads. But when challenged on something their knowledge is only internet deep they usually get really pissy. I've seen hammockers with over 8,000 posts act like they are an expert when they have been hanging an entire 2 years and if you figure how much time it takes dedicated to the internet to get to 8,000 post in that short time you should realize that they spend more time talking about backpacking and hanging than they actually do hanging and backpacking.
I went to that FB Group today as part of that new Forum we have (I've been contact Group Admins to see if they want to be listed) and noticed that there's no Admins listed in the member section. I checked back on that message he sent me and apparently he's off Facebook completely now, leaving about 50 people in a Group page with no Admin.
Perfect opportunity to help out. They say success is the best form of revenge.
No Sniveling!

Return to “The Morning Briefing”