This Is Not A Hit Piece

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

This Is Not A Hit Piece

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm

I'm reading a thread at HammockForums.net. Yes, I still go there and yes, its OK for you to post a link to that site because we don't care where you get your hammock and camping information from or where you discuss it, and we have no desire to control which sites you can see, which you can't, or to make those kinds of decisions for you.

Hammock Forums is dying. It is a slow and painful death, and it will continue to be so. Its a death that has been hastened by heavy handed and vengeful moderation and a Terms Of Service that has alientated Veterans, those who support them, Gun Owners, Christians, and the fact that they claim the Copyright of those who post there has alienated Creative people who wish to control their own words and images. It is dying because they have enagaged in deception regarding how profit is derived from the site, the "donations" given that goes into the pockets of the owner. It has been a site that had power in the hammock community, then they tried to use that power to silence one lonely YouTuber who psoke out publicly about these issues---and that's something you can't keep secret, and can't keep people from talking about around campfires where moderators have no control. Until recently, they have deleted every video of mine posted there, regardless of whether it was a video designed to help new hammock campers or not, or if it reviewed a product their vendors sell. It has been a site that allows persons to make 10,000 posts that call newbs stupid and criticizes every new idea that comes down the pike, and bans others who make actual contributions to hammock camping knowledge.

I really don't want to see this happen. This site was created as an alternative, not a replacement. They regard us as "competition", we regard them as just another place to get hammock information, and there should be more places, not just one. There is no King of Hammocks (although Shug could be considered Prince Regent) and nobody should try to be.

But, perhaps, if they want to go back to being the vibrant, freindly discussion site they used to be they should consider competing with us. Perhaps going back to allowing people to express thier identities in thier signature lines, religious or not, might help keep people around after they've gotten thier basic hammock questions answered. Perhaps allowing people to talk about ALL things hammock related---including guns---might to that as well. Perhaps allowing members and vendors there to post video reviews of thier own preferred vendor's products might help. Perhaps changing the word "donation" to something that more accurately describes the purpose of money given to the owner would work. Perhaps rewarding Creators and Content Providers rather than claiming control over their work, might bring more content providers, and thus more members and viewers, might halp as well.

And maybe, just maybe, admitting all this and extending a hand to people who have pointed out that such policies will result in the death of the site instead of vengefully trying silence them might help as well. For my part, I would accept that hand and work diligently towards the success of two hammock related discussion sites instead of one. My interest is in expanding hammock camping and hammock camping knowledge, not in tearing anything down or punishing anybody.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: This Is Not A Hit Piece

Post by Scuba » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:51 pm

You'd think as the owner of this site I'd have a dog in this fight, but I really don't. When we sat around a year ago at the 4th Buttake and spitballed this idea, I said from the get go we would be an alternative, not a competitor. I don't do ads, I don't do google analytics, I don't even moderate this place much (the other admins do most of that). You can ask people who know me, I don't really care about money, I have enough for me and my family and my addictions, and if God took it all away tomorrow, I'd praise him and work harder.

HF has always been the big dog in the hammock community, and if they remain the big dog and we are just a flea on their back, that is fine with me. I want this site to exist as a place where people can talk about hammocks AND guns AND God, if they fell the need to. If they don't they can stick to only the forums in which they wish to participate. I tend to not hang out here in Sarge's Bunker too much because I tend to go from sedate to "Fuck you, you're wrong and I am right" in about 2 seconds, so I prefer to avoid showing my ass.

-I will never ASK for money in order for you to see content.
-I might occasionally set up group buys ( like I am doing now for the HH.net fabric) but will not do it to turn a profit. Hell I might lose money on this one due to shipping.
- It cost me about $200-$300 for a 2 year contract for the services I have here, some of which I am not even using yet (blog pages anyone?) One night out with some of military buddies and my bar tab is bigger than that.

Enjoy yourself here, I don't plan on closing, I don't plan on changing too much, but I do listen to suggestions.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:30 pm

This is a comfortable place....I thinks I shall blog here.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 am

This is such a coincidence! Just yesterday or maybe day before, I was lurking around over there- as I occasionally do, and was reading that very same thread and coming to a similar conclusion as you. Maybe not quite as strong of a conclusion as you, but similar. Also, I'm not seeing posts by very many of the people I felt like I knew pretty well. Mostly posts by names I am not familiar with. Maybe that's natural though, as the years go by, the old timers sort of back off- not much new to say- and newbies take up the slack. Anyway, something just seemed a bit different.
Last edited by BillyBob66 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:53 am

I'm glad to find an alternative site. I just joined but this is refreshing.
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

This Is Not A Hit Piece

Post by southernfire97 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:17 am

The above mentioned issues with HF is exactly why I'm here. The smartass comments and nazi style moderation was too much for me. I do refer back to there when I need info, but rarely ever post anything at all. Just too many smartass internet cowboys for me.

Thanks for setting this site up!

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:34 pm

I had a run in with them a while back that caused me to not even visit that site for over a year. Now, I mainly just lurk in the For Sale forum looking for deals on items. Other than that, I don't do any posting there and am very glad this site is here. I am looking forward to many others coming and going us and breathing the fresh "free" air that abounds around here.

Keep up the great work, guys!!!

Return to “The Morning Briefing”