Apropos To Some Of The Discussions Here

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Apropos To Some Of The Discussions Here

Post by GregD » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:57 am

BillyBob:

Science is evidence based, faith is faith based. These are fundamentally antithetical. That there have been very many competent scientists that are also religious speaks to the human capacity to cope with cognitive dissonance. Christians claim the Bible is the word of God, and some that everything in it is literally true. The evidence is that the creation story in Genesis is completely and utterly wrong. If Genesis is factually inaccurate, what else is inaccurate? But that is a detail; fundamentally science rejects the Bible because there is no compelling evidence that the Bible is the word of God and for that matter no compelling evidence that God exists. Your re-interpretation of selections from the Bible as being consistent with modern knowledge suggests that you see the value of evidence, since you are trying to create some to bolster your argument that the Bible is divinely inspired, but that claim is extraordinary and requires extraordinary evidence which does not yet exist. Stop dabbling on an Internet forum; scientifically test your hypothesis that the Bible contains information that the authors could not have known except for divine inspiration. I would have thought the Roman Catholic Church would have tried such a study by now; they certainly have had the time, resources, and motivation.

But back to the OP. All scientists (that we know about) are human. All humans are biased. Therefore all scientists are biased. Nevertheless, science overcomes this bias because it demands evidence, and as the evidence becomes more clear the biases are illuminated and then discarded.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Apropos To Some Of The Discussions Here

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 am

The discussion here is not Science vs Faith, its how politics is perverting Science.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “The Morning Briefing”