Sigh

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Sigh

Post by sarge » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Got this in my Message Request box on Facebook when I got home.
Hi, am the admin for the GoPro Hero 3+ group. I removed your recent post because it violates the group rules...

Further more, I am banning your from the group...for your cover art. Religion is disease and you are wrecking the world...you are not welcome in any of my groups (which include all the other GoPro groups pretty much). Byeeeeee
I made a For Sale post for a Stayblcam, but it seems the Greater Sin (pun intended) was being a Christian.

FWIW, you can go here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goproenthusiasts/

Here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/771706542973212/

Here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/519387398183479/

And here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/learnSCUBA/?ref=br_rs

If you want info and discussion on Go Pro cameras.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Sigh

Post by Scott » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:57 pm

Sorry to hear you have been banned from another site.

I am all for a "disease" that promotes stable families, healthy living, hard work, charity, and love of your fellow man and freedom of choice (along with accountability for our choices).

Unfortunately the one approved target above all others seems to be Christians. Which ever of the D or R wins the white house, we will have a lying, cheating, back-stabbing, self-serving person to follow for the next 4 years. Those are our new role models? Yeah, I am a little cynical.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:35 pm

The irony is, he likely wouldm't get banned from any site run by a Crhistian for coming on and saying "I'm an Atheist!"
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Gee, what a shame people feel like that. The world was a better place before so many turned their backs on religion. But... I betcha that come Dec. 25th they ALL celebrate!!
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 pm

That's just sad on multiple levels.

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:13 am

Well glad to see that the folks at that group are so understanding and open minded. Bless their hearts ( heavy southern sarcasm implied).
Granted the Church has a bit of a checkered past, what with inquisitions, witch hunts, and crusades. Also some people today still use a twisted view of Christianity to explain their own bigotry and hateful ideals. However this does not represent the true teachings of Jesus and the religion founded on his words. Most people proffesing to be christians are good, kind, decent people who acknowledge that they are flawed.Even the Pope prays for God's forgiveness.

God gave mankind freewill. I fully support everyone's ability to believe or not in whatever they want. As long as they aren't harming anyone or trying to force their belief/opinion on someone else or repressing someone else's belief or opinion. This person is just practicing censorship, and that to me is wrong. If they want to talk about how they don't believe that's fine. They have a constitutionally guaranteed right to do so. But to block someone else's ability to speak is just plain wrong. I mean I do not agree with neo natzis, but I would not deny them the right to spew their garbage opinions.
So sad that someone who probably thinks of themselves as Inteligent and mature would do something so stupid and childish.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:03 am

You had the option of following his rules when playing in his sandbox. The "disease" remark was gratuitously rude.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:55 am

GregD wrote:You had the option of following his rules when playing in his sandbox. The "disease" remark was gratuitously rude.
Normally, posts like the one I made are merely removed and an admonition given to a first time offender, at least in the friendlier Groups I belong to. I hadn't seen that restriction in the rules, would have been perfectly happy to abide by them, and to accept the deserved admonition.

It wasn't just rude, it was egregious and mean spirited.
My You Tube Channel

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:20 pm

sarge wrote:
GregD wrote:You had the option of following his rules when playing in his sandbox. The "disease" remark was gratuitously rude.
Normally, posts like the one I made are merely removed and an admonition given to a first time offender, at least in the friendlier Groups I belong to. I hadn't seen that restriction in the rules, would have been perfectly happy to abide by them, and to accept the deserved admonition.

It wasn't just rude, it was egregious and mean spirited.
Yes it was over the top. For me it is hard to not take personally something like that. But it isn't logical to take it personally. That person doesn't know you personally and is lumping you with some caricature she/he has in her/his head.

On a happier note it's almost August- half way through the two hottest months of the year!

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:04 pm

it is good to see that both sides of the believe or not agree in respecting and good treatment of others, at least in this group. :D
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Scott wrote:it is good to see that both sides of the believe or not agree in respecting and good treatment of others, at least in this group. :D
It's one of the best things about this group. There have been some very spirited discussions that never digressed to the point of being insulting. I enjoy reading the banter and like that in the end all parties agree to disagree. I only wish that more of society had such a mature outlook.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:07 pm

There is probably no way to find out, but I bet anything this guy (?) thinks of himself as tolerant. I bet he is all about tolerance and inclusion. At least for the correct side, determined by people like him. While at the same time probably curses Christians as being intolerant.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:44 am

BillyBob66 wrote:There is probably no way to find out, but I bet anything this guy (?) thinks of himself as tolerant. I bet he is all about tolerance and inclusion. At least for the correct side, determined by people like him. While at the same time probably curses Christians as being intolerant.
Without a doubt. He probably pats himself on the back about how enlightened he is.

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:42 pm

kev137 wrote:
BillyBob66 wrote:There is probably no way to find out, but I bet anything this guy (?) thinks of himself as tolerant. I bet he is all about tolerance and inclusion. At least for the correct side, determined by people like him. While at the same time probably curses Christians as being intolerant.
Without a doubt. He probably pats himself on the back about how enlightened he is.
You are now doing to him what he did to Sarge - you are taking a teeny-tiny bit of data and extrapolating to a conclusion that he is an undesirable person. And in this case your extrapolation isn't even from the data, but from your reaction to the data. The data indicates the person is an atheist with negative attitudes towards religion, in this case quick to punish with no attempt at reconciliation.

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:59 pm

GregD wrote:
kev137 wrote:
You are now doing to him what he did to Sarge - you are taking a teeny-tiny bit of data and extrapolating to a conclusion that he is an undesirable person. And in this case your extrapolation isn't even from the data, but from your reaction to the data. The data indicates the person is an atheist with negative attitudes towards religion, in this case quick to punish with no attempt at reconciliation.
You are correct, I am making a somewhat shallow assumption of this person's character based on a single comment. It is no different or better than what they did by banning sarge. I am aware that generalizations are dangerous in nature. The only defense is that my comment was meant in jest. I would never deny anyone their right to their own opinion.
However based on the somewhat smug comments this person made in banning sarge from his group I would be willing to waiger that my assumptions are correct. If I were to attempt to engage this person in a debate or discussion simular to the one you and I are having I am fairly confident it would end quickly with this person insulting me and shutting down any further discourse. In my youth I was a punk rock anarchist and enjoyed stirring things up so I could observe the chaos. My experiences then color my opinion now on this person. I realize it is a bit ironic I am making a blanket statement based on a snap judgement. I hate it when others do the same to me.
Still I stand by my staement, and if possible I would gladly debate it with this person.

And on a side note, GregD I always enjoy your eloquent use of language even when I do not agree with what you may be saying. It is always refreshing to see the English language used in an intelligent manner.

Return to “The Morning Briefing”