Very Thankfull This Morning

Forum rules
Thought I'd do something constructive while drinking my morning coffee, so I decided to write a little something every day I'm not out in the woods. Just keep in mind, this is stuff I'm writing before I've finished my morning coffee
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Very Thankfull This Morning

Post by sarge » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:45 am

As hikers and backpackers, we should count ourselves lucky that, this time, Republicans are in charge during a shut down. National Forests are never "closed" except for that one time the Obama Administration went out of its way to close parking lots at trailheads, scenic overlooks, and picnic areas on easily accessible roads and highways going through National Parks and Forests. This also applies to Corps of Engineers sites. This time, Veterans will be allowed entry into the WW2 Monument and the Iwo Jima memorial. We will be able to walk around and contemplate the Martin Luther King Memorial, and other parks and memorials in Washington DC. Five years ago, an authoritarian leftist government undertook to make shutting down the Government over a policy disagreement as "painful as they can". This time, the folks in charge have decided that they will mitigate any inconvenience to the citizens as the politicians posture.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Very Thankfull This Morning

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Roger that! I remember fuming when the feds closed the woods. Rather than only telling staff to stay home,and warning the public: You are on your own, enter at your own risk! And it never actually saved any money, as all were paid when they inevitably came back into business a short time later. It just amounted to "non-essential" employees getting bonus paid time off.

I know they are around, but in all my years of hiking hundreds of miles through the western wilderness areas, I have only run into a government employee 1 time. And that was the last time I hiked the Sawtooth range in ID. A young female ranger came up to our site to warn us "no campfires unless you have a fire pan". But I always thought that just because these guys were going to get some forced- but later paid- time off was no reason to close the woods. Just warn people thatthere will be no one to help them, at least no federal employee.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 am

If they are going to get paid anyway, why not just have them keep working and do their jobs?
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Scott wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 am
If they are going to get paid anyway, why not just have them keep working and do their jobs?
Indeed! Why not?
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Return to “The Morning Briefing”