Clip-On Led Headlamps (Cap Lights)

Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain, right?
Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Clip-On Led Headlamps (Cap Lights)

Post by Mophead » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Just kind of discovering these clip on led lights that are inteded to be clipped on the bill of a hat. I got one in my stocking this Christmas. Despite being a dollar store buy it puts out really good light from 3 LEDs and runs on two CR3023 coin batteries. Have not weighed it but Id guess between 0.5-1oz with batteries included. It could be clipped to a shoulder strap on my pack and pointed at my feet and then it shines where I walk but I am not blinding people when I look at them. If I really wanted it to function as a headlamp I carry a spare bandanna and could clip it to that and wear it.

I imagine I am not the first to discover these things but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Maybe someone who knows more could recommend some of the brighter/better ones out there.

Oldbiker
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Clip-On Led Headlamps (Cap Lights)

Post by Oldbiker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Had a couple for years, still have one of them. Mine has 5 LEDs. Push bottom once & 3 comes on. Punch again & all 5 come on. Clipped on front of a cap if by myself but, with people I clipped it to the side of the bill so not to blind them.

Now I wear hats instead of caps & just use a wolly world head lamp.

Robert

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:36 am

I have a couple I have with me on every trip. I have had several in the past with one of the main problems being they come on in my pack. Many of them are delicate and can be damaged in a tight pack. I just need something to set up camp in the dark or go to the john in the middle of the night. I prefer something that is not real bright. I carry a Pelican VB3 which can be clipped to hat or shirt pocket. In a pack any pressure on it will just shut it off. To turn it on the leds must be lifted and they snap down making accidentally turning it on unlikely. There is one clipped to the ridge line in my hammock ready for midnight call and it will work when I want it. I change the batteries every 3 or 4 years. Look at the pictures in this add.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-VB3-222 ... SwjVVVnwzI
I like the color yellow so if I drop it I can find it.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Mophead wrote:I imagine I am not the first to discover these things but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Maybe someone who knows more could recommend some of the brighter/better ones out there.
If you check out my profile pic, you'll see one of these on the bill of my hat. I've used one for a little more than a year. I've been really happy with it. Quick tip, cut some small pieces of paper to put in-between the batteries when you're storing it. Keeps the batteries fresh. Also you can order packs of batteries on Amazon or other places.

The one I use is the Cyclops micro mini. To add to this I carry two of these little solar lights on my backpack straps.

Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:31 pm

brianb2 wrote:
Mophead wrote:I imagine I am not the first to discover these things but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Maybe someone who knows more could recommend some of the brighter/better ones out there.
If you check out my profile pic, you'll see one of these on the bill of my hat. I've used one for a little more than a year. I've been really happy with it. Quick tip, cut some small pieces of paper to put in-between the batteries when you're storing it. Keeps the batteries fresh. Also you can order packs of batteries on Amazon or other places.

The one I use is the Cyclops micro mini. To add to this I carry two of these little solar lights on my backpack straps.

I think I know where you might have gotten the idea on those little solar lights.

I sometimes carry one of the clip ons in my pocket for emergencies. I generally wear an old boonie hat and its not really stiff enough for me to use one for regular stuff. Unles what I really need to do involves knowing exactly where the tip of my nose is-----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Wife picked me up one of those ski caps with 4 LED's. Just for the fun of it I tried it out last week end when we were out camping. Not total brightness but surprisingly useful.
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:50 pm

brianb2 wrote: If you check out my profile pic, you'll see one of these on the bill of my hat. I've used one for a little more than a year. I've been really happy with it. Quick tip, cut some small pieces of paper to put in-between the batteries when you're storing it. Keeps the batteries fresh. Also you can order packs of batteries on Amazon or other places.

Well I'll be. I never would have noticed. I had a little solar gadget at one time that looked like that, too. It had a micro-usb port on the side and I was supposed to be able to charge cameras or phones with it but I never got it working reliably. I ordered one from ebay for about $3. It's much more adjustable and weights 17g with batteries. The only one I have found with a red LED is the petzl e+lite. Its a little on the heavier side at 1.1oz, also the brightest I have seen I've seen at 26 lumens. They're very price in comparison though.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Yeah, carrying a light has been an interesting evolution for me. I used to do a lot of rock climbing and caving, and there I wanted the biggest baddest light I could find. At the time it was the Petzl's with the big square batteries. Awesome, but heavy and finding those damn batteries was a pain. That headlamp was a good example of the kind of gear I carried at that time. I took a break from the outdoors and then came back to it a few years ago. Now how much weight I carried meant something to me.

I bought a new headlamp with multiple functions. Red, dim, bright, etc. It works great, but then one day I weighed all the contents of my pack and started scrutinizing what I was carrying. I took my pack weight down to about 7lbs, but it was a bit of a nuisance. I then started adding back in some things to make the experience more enjoyable and ended up around 15lbs. One of the things that didn't make it back in was the new headlamp. The fact is I'm pretty comfortable in the dark and I like letting my eyes adjust to the dark. With the little hat brim light I can see fine, and if you add in the two solar lights then I have an abundance of light. Last thing I bring is a tea light that I use in conjunction with my stove as a little lantern.

So for me, the little lights work. I know for a lot of folks a high powered light is a must. I'm cool with that, lets me save my batteries. Just remember not to screw up your camp mates night vision by blasting them in the eyes with your 400 gazillion lumen light.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:27 am

Clip-on headlights are useful because they are lighter weight than full size ones. I have one but mostly use a full size one and clip on for back up. Key for me is to keep on lowest setting and preferably red to not damage my night vision any more than necessary. Mostly I don't use a light.Then remove all batteries from them at home unless I use one for taking out trash, walking dog, jogging, in attic etc on a daily basis. I have 2 Black Diamond and one Petzel, the Black Diamond seem to be a little bit better, especially the higher end ones. But all act wanky if batteries are low so change to new before a long trip or take spares and backup light helps me change batteries in the dark or if primary is damaged or lost to a curious raccoon or just disorganized because I was sleepy and forgot to put in a logical place. Once got lost in all the insulation of my hammock, next night I stumbled thru the forest to my hammock found light next morning, should have put in ridge-line bag but was very sleepy when going for potty break night before.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:27 pm

I think most of us are pretty similar as far as our light needs go. I try to avoid turning on lights at all costs, and if I need one usually use the red mode. I don't really find it helps much keeping my night vision but seems to attract fewer bugs when I'm in a boggy area. I am also kind of into dirt bagging so if I can find free or cheap gear that performs well I just enjoy using it more can't explain any reasons why.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:14 am

Mophead wrote:I think most of us are pretty similar as far as our light needs go. I try to avoid turning on lights at all costs, and if I need one usually use the red mode. I don't really find it helps much keeping my night vision but seems to attract fewer bugs when I'm in a boggy area. I am also kind of into dirt bagging so if I can find free or cheap gear that performs well I just enjoy using it more can't explain any reasons why.
I have used the red light feature of flashlights for many years while at work as well. :D
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 am

I reserve the headlamp for night hiking or night time First Aid. Use smaller task lights (I prefer solar powered) for all other stuff, and the SunLight Lantern for general area use.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Ultra-light Hiking”