Ultralight hammock hang - I'd like to restart that if anyone is interested

Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain, right?
SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Ultralight hammock hang - I'd like to restart that if anyone is interested

Post by SGT Rock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:31 am

In 2012 I had the first (and so far last) ultralight hammock hang. We had things like the 5 pound challenge and general campfire time for folks to hang out and share ultralight ideas. I know I ended up incorporating a few ideas into my own system from what I saw at that hang.

Unfortunately later that year we had a break in at work and it has been hectic for me for the last three catching up. I'm just now starting to get back into a normal rhythm for hiking. I'd like to start it back up again, and I'm encouraged by what seems to be a fresh trend in hammockers looking at going light in their hammock systems.

So if there is anyone else that might be interested I think it will have to wait until maybe the spring, but I'd like to put out some feelers on who else might be interested.

No Sniveling!

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Ultralight hammock hang - I'd like to restart that if anyone is interested

Post by Ksbcrocks » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:38 am

I would be interested, but I live in SE Texas.

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Well wouldn't you just love to visit lovely East Tennessee?

Or maybe we could franchise.
No Sniveling!

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:12 pm

That was a good event in Slickrock, your cuben hammock and Black Wolf's 5 lb pack stole the show. Of course the steaks weren't too bad either. I still chuckle when I recall some of your experiences with "hikers", especially that zim-zim-zim-zim contraption.

And you know the usual suspects from the local area would stop by.

But we need to grade ultralight on a curve based upon one's girth. Low cut socks to fit my size 13 are heavier than some youngsters shoes.

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:14 pm

Roche wrote:That was a good event in Slickrock, your cuben hammock and Black Wolf's 5 lb pack stole the show. Of course the steaks weren't too bad either. I still chuckle when I recall some of your experiences with "hikers", especially that zim-zim-zim-zim contraption.

And you know the usual suspects from the local area would stop by.

But ;xx;x need to grade ultralight on a curve based upon one's girth. Low cut socks to fit my size 13 are heavier than some youngsters shoes.
Agreed. I've come to the conclusion that hammocking is more like clothing. Size, weight, and temperature sensitivity are variables that are more impacting on packing kits and thus weight than in general ground sleeping.

I also think arbitrary weight limits to qualify as an "ultralight" or "SUL" hiker are silly if one is dogmatic about it. In 1997 I remember 12 pounds was considered UL. These days it is generally considered 10 pounds. But we are in the US. I would guess that in Europe the arbitrary cut off would be 5 kilos since they use the metric system. But most it illustrates how truly arbitrary the number is. So if someone wants to call themselves an ultralight hiker and has a base of 12.5 pounds I think that is perfectly fine.

For me, I noticed at some of the other hangs I went to that they were populated by hangers that car camped a lot or were hikers that rarely, if ever, went more than 10 miles in a day. Now I find nothing wrong with that, I just find I have little in common with them. I wanted a hang that had a concentration of hangers that were looking at light loads for the efficiency of going from place to place and not campers who are creating a palace at every campsite. My axiom is: the more I carry, the more I enjoy camping. The less I carry, the more I enjoy hiking.
No Sniveling!

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:29 pm

And in case no one knows the story. I hiked a few nights with a guy using one of these in an effort to save weight on batteries:

http://www.flashlight-manufacturers.com ... light.html
No Sniveling!

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:06 am

I like the idea. I've been playing the weight game a lot lately. Twice over the summer I played and lost. Waking up at 3am shivering because I went too lite was an unfortunate lesson. Always have a contingency.

Now that it's cooling down again I'll need to test a few quilt prototypes to see where they bottom out. Need to get them dialed in since the Family's been joining me a lot more often. It's a sight to see a 7yr old drinking hot chocolate out of a Fosters pot.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:57 am

brianb2 wrote:It's a sight to see a 7yr old drinking hot chocolate out of a Fosters pot.
Imagine how the late Norman Rockwell would paint that image, brings a tear to my eye.

Redhat
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Redhat » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:36 am

SGT Rock wrote:In 2012 I had the first (and so far last) ultralight hammock hang. We had things like the 5 pound challenge and general campfire time for folks to hang out and share ultralight ideas. I know I ended up incorporating a few ideas into my own system from what I saw at that hang.

Unfortunately later that year we had a break in at work and it has been hectic for me for the last three catching up. I'm just now starting to get back into a normal rhythm for hiking. I'd like to start it back up again, and I'm encouraged by what seems to be a fresh trend in hammockers looking at going light in their hammock systems.

So if there is anyone else that might be interested I think it will have to wait until maybe the spring, but I'd like to put out some feelers on who else might be interested.
Hey there Sgt. Rock, I'd be interested.... long time no see

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:15 am

East Tennessee is a bit farther than West Tennessee, myself having driven through that state before :-) On that note, I do make regular trips to VA to see the in-laws, and it could be something to get dropped off by DW at an East Tennessee hang, while she goes on to visit her folks. I would hope to get picked up by her on the way back to Texas!

I like the idea of going lighter and lighter, I am not there by any means though. I am just getting into the "carrying everything in and out" mode, having moved from being a car camper. It puts a whole new light on the matter. (Pun) Anything accomplished, and shared is always welcome, by videos and gear building posts. Thanks for your work in that area, Sarge.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Return to “Ultra-light Hiking”