Am I the Only One?

Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain, right?
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Am I the Only One?

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm gonna try and finish that Costco UQ tomorrow and the night time low is supposed to be 59---just about in the wheelhouse of that thing---so i might sleep out on the patio

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Foresight
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Foresight » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:54 pm

I went to check my po box and rear ended pulling into my driveway. Car behind me stopped, but someone behind them didn't. 3 car wreck and 3.5 hrs later I got the accident report and was able to come inside. Missed the first half of the Navy game.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foresight
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Foresight » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:04 pm

33-11 win, btw. Can't believe we let AF score......

I hope I never find myself on a plane being flown by that AF QB......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pine E. Woods
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Pine E. Woods » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:32 pm

I seemed to get stuck at about 24-27lbs total. That's usually with 4lb food/3lb water to start. Doesn't matter if it's 0° or 70°; mine always seems about the same. I analyze my list over and over but I don't want to part with anything else or lose comfort for less weight. I stared years ago with a 35-40lb pack which was just too heavy; doable, but I could just tell it wasn't healthy for the joints and back.

20lb total would be nice, though. Maybe I'll get there.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm

I went with a less extreme but similar cycle, got things pretty light (6lbs of gear) but quickly decided, and I'm clearly not alone here, that I was trading effort on the trek for comfort in camp and it didn't work for me. A few things that had been cut made the list again.

I also have a dollar per ounce mentality sometimes that makes me ask if the weight savings is worth the expense. The fun for me is trying to get a lightweight kit without a monster budget or a big sacrifice in comfort. Let's face it, anyone with a bunch of cash to blow can just go buy an ultralight setup today. I saw a gear list once for a 9 lb pack and added up that pack and contents at over $4000 for a summer setup. While those items each have their place (and I wish I owned them all) what I really enjoy seeing is creativity, repurposed materials, techniques that eliminate the need for certain gear, etc.

Now I'm at about 10lbs (gear, pack not included) for summertime and short trips, 12 in the winter or longer backcountry trips where I want a big tarp and some more cooking options.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:The fun for me is trying to get a lightweight kit without a monster budget or a big sacrifice in comfort.
Yeah, this sums me up exactly. I really enjoy putting together low cost setups that strive to be as effective as the pricey rigs. I like the puzzle aspect, the creativity, and the craftsmanship that goes along with making your own gear. Also, repurposing something that never intended to be gear as gear is a kick.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:what I really enjoy seeing is creativity, repurposed materials, techniques that eliminate the need for certain gear, etc.
Hear, hear!

Fastmatt
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Fastmatt » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 am

I don't know how you guys are doing it. I've cut everycorner and gave up a bunch of gear (replaced some as I wasn't happy without it) and I've been stuck around 26-30 lbs. total for 4-5 days gear food and all. I seem to be stuck as I'm a pretty heavy eater, and because my pack weight is up a bit I still use 5 lbs packs. And my final issue is I'm claustrophobic so all my sleeping gear has to be very roomy(no mummy bag for me) I need large wide and long sleeping bags same for top quilts if I feel I'm squeezed or trying to fit under a small quilt I freak out.lol. There is no rediculous gear in my bag and it is all fairly light minus the bag and sleep gear. I guess my question is at what weight can I comfortably move into one of these ultralight packs (1-2-2.5) lbs. ? I've been afraid to get one and find out 10 miles later that it can't comfortably handle the then 24-28 lb load.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Keep in mind the weights we are talking about are base weight. No food, no water, no fuel. My actual weight for my last multi day trip was 11 pounds of gear, 3.75 pound pack, 8 pounds of food and a 13oz fuel canister, so about 23-24 pounds. Food was planned religiously and there was only enough left over to squeak by for maybe a day if I got lost. I'm now down to about 20 with all the food due to a lighter pack, new Robic hammock, smaller tarp....

Base weights can be a bit misleading because your pack is never actually that light, except maybe the last day If you have no food left. If you're at 26-28 with 4-5 days of food and a relatively heavy pack and sleep system, you're doing pretty well. Weigh your food, fuel and water and subtract it from your total weight and that number is the base weight we are referring to. Frankly if you're hitting 28 with a pack that heavy, that much food and an oversized sleep system I would say you're doing very well.

As for the packs, I had my doubts as well. Tried an Osprey Exos at REI with 25 pounds in it and it felt really good. I've been carrying a load of 20lbs including the pack while walking my dogs and it feels great. Can't really speak for other ultralight packs because I haven't used them.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

bobbycobbler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobbycobbler » Sat May 14, 2016 9:00 am

My biggest hitch was food in the beginning. That was just a learning / comfort curve that I could only figure out by going on multiple trips. Also, dialing in the winter thing is tricky. Extra layers, gloves, hats, ect add up fast. And take up a ton of pack room. Again, I think these things that are only figured out by taking multiple trips and finding out comfort levels. Im now down to around 11ish lbs (pack included) in the summer, 12 ish in shoulder, and 13 in winter. This is with luxuries like camp stools and party lights :)

Return to “Ultra-light Hiking”