Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Drinking Straws for camping/survival

Post by Scuba » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 pm

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Throkda
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Drinking Straws for camping/survival

Post by Throkda » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:22 pm

I saw something similar to that before and thought it was a cool idea. The other one suggested using colored straws for organization, and a fine tip sharpie for labeling.

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DuxDawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Sootch is a hoot for sure. I have been using straws this way for many years. Can be quite useful at times. Surprised the gram weenies aren't using this more. Perfect for through hiking.

With PJ'd CBs (petroleum jelly covered cotton balls) I have long been a fan of keeping them separate. The straw is waterproof and CBs have many uses. So why slather PJ on them?? I carry CBs in a matchsafe and PJ in a used Carmex/Chapstick tube. Have a few CBs in straws and some PJ in other straws in my PSK and when teaching. Put the PJ on a piece of bark, etc then pull the CB apart into two halves and set them on top with the fluffy middle part up. A single scrape from a ferro or half a second of flame from a lighter or match and it will burn for 5-10 minutes. The way Sootch did it makes a good candle but is easily put out by a little wind. The wider the flames, the more wind resistant.

IMHO, PJ'd CBs are a poor substitute for fatwood anyhow. Scrapings off fatwood will easily catch a spark scraped off a ferro (ferrocerium firestarter rod), often with only a single scrape. They will take flame from lighter or match super easily. They help out tinder bundles nicely. Fatwood is naturally waterproof. I've soaked fatwood and a ferro in a bucket of water for two weeks and immediately upon taking them out of the bucket made fire with a small pile of fatwood scrapings and a single scrape off the ferro. Fatwood can be found for free in the woods in most locales or for $1/lb if you catch a sale.

I have found McD's straws work the best as far as they seal the best and are the toughest. Clear straws are great for seeing the contents yet they are brittle and thus more likely to leak. When there is any wax, PJ, etc on the straw it often becomes tough to seal it. Wants to melt and drip but not hold together. Q-tips are handy for cleaning out the inside of the end of the straw before sealing. Melted medicated ointment, wax, PJ, etc easily pours into any container, including straws. Typically I get everything set to do a bunch and use a candle as the heat source. Cut to size and seal one end on all the straws, fill 'em all then seal them all. Sharpies only remain legible for a limited amount of time, especially when being rubbed in a pack or after exposure to any solvent such as hand sanitizer, fuel for stoves, etc. Wrapping with different colors of tape or using different color straws lasts a lot longer. I put all straws containing liquid in a hard container like a Rx bottle because it is only a matter of time until they leak.

Have not tried his crimping after heating idea. Seems like it would be a good idea.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for sharing Dux. I have been looking into setting some up for seasonings and meds for the kit etc.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

Return to “Tips and Tricks, Fieldcraft, Navigation, First Aid skills and advice.”