Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Bag Balm

Post by Mophead » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Anybody else carry some bag balm in their first aid kit? Its uses are endless- chapped lips, monkey butt, cuts, bug bites, sun burn, blistered feet, etc.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Bag Balm

Post by sarge » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:21 pm

I don't, but I remember my Dad did.

It's that Old School----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:57 pm

I have never used it but do recall hearing about it from older family members. Here is one for you though. If you have a bug bite that itches, take a spoon and warm it, either in water or fire from a candle or match. Apply the warmed, not real hot, backside of the spoon to the itching bite and hold it there. Repeat if needed. You must get it as hot as you can comfortably stand. The swelling will subside and itching will stop. I have been doing this for a few years now and it works every time. I kid you not!
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:59 am

Hmm, non-toxic, no chemicals, interesting, AND can be tried at home. Of course, for those who carry plastic spoons, this tip is null and void. I may have to carry more fuel than my usual half-Esbit per day in summer.

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DuxDawg » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:11 am

Been using bag Balm for many years. As for the hot spoon treatment, interesting. Wonder if the reactive compounds are sensitive to relatively low heat or if the heat causing increased blood flow accelerates the reaction? Sometimes the simplest things work amazingly well.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:48 am

Another amazing product is Aquaphor. You can get the Wally*World version also. Name brand stuff is expensive. But you can get a small tube also. My wife and I suffer from split skin on our hands in the dry winters. We used to try Vaseline on the splits a few times a day, usually just keeping up with the splits and not getting them worse. I decided to try Aquaphor. ONE overnight and my hands were like 100 times better. I've read a few hiker journals where they were dealing with wet skin issues on their feet after a week of rain. They started rubbing some Aquaphor (or Bag Balm) on their feet, pulling on their sleeping socks and by morning their feet were much improved.

I tried to find "where to find" Bag Balm from their web site. Doesn't seem to work. But they mention CVS. Anyone know if every CVS stocks it? I'd like to try it.

Last place I knew had it, was our local 100 year old feed store.....which closed a few years back.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Quite a few years ago, I picked up some bag balm at WalMart. It doesn't show now except as an on-line order there. I found it on Amazon.com and eBay.com just now. If you don't have a large Amazon order now, eBay may be the cheapest option.

Meanwhile, I'm experimenting with homemade options with a coconut oil base. Coconut and some other "healthy" oils, such as castor oil, are naturally anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc. Adding tea tree works even better. I'm shooting for a home made balm that will work on anything from chapped lips to cracked feet, even hair, in a pinch. There are "recipes" on line for lotion bars that could be easy to carry. It could be a real bonus to develop something that would work for face to foot care and be a single solid product. Drop into one plastic bag for light and easy, no-mess, no-spill carrying.

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Well a plastic spoon certainly would be a disaster.. But any metal heated would do. Like a knife tip or multi tool. From what I recall it is the protein that is killed off from the heat. That is what makes the itch. Now remember that I said it is as I recall. Some times I can't recall my name.. But I know the hot metal against the bite works great.... Instant relief.
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 pm

rhjanes wrote:Another amazing product is Aquaphor. You can get the Wally*World version also. Name brand stuff is expensive. But you can get a small tube also. My wife and I suffer from split skin on our hands in the dry winters. We used to try Vaseline on the splits a few times a day, usually just keeping up with the splits and not getting them worse. I decided to try Aquaphor. ONE overnight and my hands were like 100 times better. I've read a few hiker journals where they were dealing with wet skin issues on their feet after a week of rain. They started rubbing some Aquaphor (or Bag Balm) on their feet, pulling on their sleeping socks and by morning their feet were much improved.

I tried to find "where to find" Bag Balm from their web site. Doesn't seem to work. But they mention CVS. Anyone know if every CVS stocks it? I'd like to try it.

Last place I knew had it, was our local 100 year old feed store.....which closed a few years back.
Once I took brand new shoes hiking and put in about 20 mi in a day and got terrible blisters. The next day it rained all morning and my feet were wet and killing me. The bag balm really saved the day that trip.

Looks like the aquaphor has lanolin in it like bag balm. That stuff is magic or something. Do you know if the aquaphor has an antiseptic or antibiotic in it like bag balm? Might try it out.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:41 pm

My tub doesn't list any antiseptic/biotic.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:03 am

From Wikipedia and verified on LiveStrong:

The active ingredients of Bag Balm are 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (antiseptic) in a petroleum jelly USP and lanolin base.[2]

In the past, Bag Balm has been documented as containing 0.005% mercury "from ethylated sterols".[3][4] Mercury was once used in many products as an effective antiseptic,[4] although much less commonly today, now that the toxic effects of mercury and its compounds are more widely understood. Mercury is no longer listed as an ingredient in Bag Balm.

Fastmatt
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Fastmatt » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 pm

rhjanes wrote:Another amazing product is Aquaphor. You can get the Wally*World version also. Name brand stuff is expensive. But you can get a small tube also. My wife and I suffer from split skin on our hands in the dry winters. We used to try Vaseline on the splits a few times a day, usually just keeping up with the splits and not getting them worse. I decided to try Aquaphor. ONE overnight and my hands were like 100 times better. I've read a few hiker journals where they were dealing with wet skin issues on their feet after a week of rain. They started rubbing some Aquaphor (or Bag Balm) on their feet, pulling on their sleeping socks and by morning their feet were much improved.

X2 on the aquaphor I don't go to the gym , the trail , or basically anywhere without it. I have tubes all over the place. If hiking long distance I tend to get chaff in my nether region this stuff seems to straighten that out overnight. Now I pre applicate and don't have any issue. I just got bag balm at tractor supply. TSC. My buddy puts blue coat on his hounds paws during rabbit season says it works wonders. It's for paw pads and hooves but I'd bet it works on human skin also. I'll be the Guinea pig this season and try it.

NEMO Hiker
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: Yeah
Suspension: DIY Woopie Slings
Insulation: Pad and Sleeping Bag

Post by NEMO Hiker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:15 am

Bag Balm can be picked up at most farm stores, it was used after milking. As far as chaffing goes, a doctor said to use antiperspirant in the area of concern. It works for me :)

Return to “Tips and Tricks, Fieldcraft, Navigation, First Aid skills and advice.”