So the Bible was correct: Unicorns actually existed?

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Atheism and Agnosticism, post inspirational Atheist and Agnostic memes and quotations, ask questions of an Atheistic or Agnostic nature, and discuss your Atheist or Agnostic views on Life and the Outdoors. If you don't want to see Athesim and Agnosticism being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. Discussion should always be respectful of the people here and thier beliefs. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you talking people out of thier beliefs or insult their intelligence. We respect your right to do so, but will not allow that kind of discussion here.
BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

So the Bible was correct: Unicorns actually existed?

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:39 pm

Turns out there really were Unicorns! ;) ( or at least something that looks like and some would call a type of unicorn )I already mentioned this in my thread titled "Cavemen/puppies", but I decided it deserved a new thread. Even I am given pause when I read a couple of references in the oldest books of the Bible(at least in the old King James version) about Unicorns. Such as, from the oldest book in the Bible, Job:
Job 39:9Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
10Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
But maybe this is what the OT Bible writers were referring to. It does look kind of horse like, and the verse does seem to indicate that it was too big/strong for them to subdue and turn into a plow horse/beast of burden:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... kazakhstan
Extinct 'Siberian unicorn' may have lived alongside humans, fossil suggests
Scientists said that creature, which looked more like a rhino than a horse, went extinct 29,000 years ago instead of 350,000 after finding skull in Kazakhstan.........Scientists believed Elasmotherium sibiricum went extinct 350,000 years ago. But the discovery of a skull in the Pavlodar region of Kazakhstan provides evidence that they only died out about 29,000 years ago.......Unfortunately, despite its sizable horn, the “Siberian unicorn” looked more like a rhinoceros than the mythical creature its nickname refers to. It was about 6 feet tall, 15 feet long, and weighed about 9,000 pounds, making it more comparable to a woolly mammoth than a horse.
Point is, the scientists have had to revise their date of extinction by a factor of 12. They reduced that by a whopping 320,000 years, just another 25,000 to get it into the time that Job lived. A mere 16% of the amount they just reduced it. And Job mentions other creatures that sound more like Dinosaurs than any thing that lives now:
Job 40:15
“Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
The foot note in many Bibles(the publishers/editors foot note, NOT the actual scripture) says "probably a hippo or elephant". But who ever would compare a hippo or elephants tail to a cedar tree? That sounds more like a dino to me.

But, is it possible that something that some one might have called Unicorns lived at the same time as humans, as the bible seems to indicate?

(copy from other thread)So it would seem they have been off on their extinction date by a factor of 12. That raises the question of: could they be off by even more than that, maybe a lot more? We now know that their knowledge of past events related to when this creature last lived was nothing more than wild guessing. I wonder if anything like that could possibly apply to T. Rex, who even though ( so they say) the last one lived about 70 million years ago, they have still been able to find red blood cells and collagen in the remains right here in Montana? Maybe T. Rex actually lived at some date closer to us than 70 million years? Or maybe it's really hard to know.
Last edited by BillyBob66 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Re: So the Bible was correct: Unicorns actually existed?

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:39 pm

I need to check on this: I'm never really quite sure where to place threads like my last two about 1st Cavemen/puppies and then Unicorns(yes, Unicorns ;) ). Should they be placed somewhere else besides Atheism and Agnosticism? Clearly I am not an atheist, but both threads are discussing recent news items about scientific claims by- most likely- atheists or agnostics. Moderators please move to the appropriate category if need be.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:09 am

BillyBob66 wrote:I need to check on this: I'm never really quite sure where to place threads like my last two about 1st Cavemen/puppies and then Unicorns(yes, Unicorns ;) ). Should they be placed somewhere else besides Atheism and Agnosticism? Clearly I am not an atheist, but both threads are discussing recent news items about scientific claims by- most likely- atheists or agnostics. Moderators please move to the appropriate category if need be.
As a general rule, don't post something in one of these forums if it can be seen as a provocation. In general, the intent of the "Bunker" would be that if you're posting something that you think supports your position on whatever issue in any of the Bunker forums, it should be posted in the one you most align yourself with.

More than anything else, dividing the Bunker up the way we do gives the mods the freedom to move things if the discussions get out of hand, without deleting anyone's posts or closing any threads, or if we see anything posted that look like its posted as a deliberate provocation guaranteed to get out of hand.

But so far, we've not seen any acrimony and a good deal of respectful debate (which is a good thing among respectful adults wishing to learn something about each other), so its all good.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:18 pm

sarge wrote:
BillyBob66 wrote:I need to check on this: I'm never really quite sure where to place threads like my last two about 1st Cavemen/puppies and then Unicorns(yes, Unicorns ;) ). Should they be placed somewhere else besides Atheism and Agnosticism? Clearly I am not an atheist, but both threads are discussing recent news items about scientific claims by- most likely- atheists or agnostics. Moderators please move to the appropriate category if need be.
As a general rule, don't post something in one of these forums if it can be seen as a provocation. In general, the intent of the "Bunker" would be that if you're posting something that you think supports your position on whatever issue in any of the Bunker forums, it should be posted in the one you most align yourself with.

More than anything else, dividing the Bunker up the way we do gives the mods the freedom to move things if the discussions get out of hand, without deleting anyone's posts or closing any threads, or if we see anything posted that look like its posted as a deliberate provocation guaranteed to get out of hand.

But so far, we've not seen any acrimony and a good deal of respectful debate (which is a good thing among respectful adults wishing to learn something about each other), so its all good.
OK, got it. Glad I asked, I don't think I understood that.

Return to “Atheism and Agnosticism”