Darwin Day Lecture 2016

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Atheism and Agnosticism, post inspirational Atheist and Agnostic memes and quotations, ask questions of an Atheistic or Agnostic nature, and discuss your Atheist or Agnostic views on Life and the Outdoors. If you don't want to see Athesim and Agnosticism being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. Discussion should always be respectful of the people here and thier beliefs. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you talking people out of thier beliefs or insult their intelligence. We respect your right to do so, but will not allow that kind of discussion here.
Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Darwin Day Lecture 2016

Post by Scott » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:28 am

BillyBob66 wrote:
Scott wrote:I think places in this thread crossed a line of giving equal space to both sides. If the OP is asking for debate and that is the intent of a thread, then great. If not, then I think we need to be very careful to not come into their clubhouse (atheism and agnosticism forum) to tell them they are wrong. The same as gun supporters don't want gun haters coming into the gun threads stating why guns are stupid.

Just a thought.
Well, if I responded with too much, I apologize. But when the OP stated right off "I also concur with Coyne's conclusion that science is leads to an accurate understanding of reality and that religious belief is rife with inaccuracies. The evidence is overwhelming.", I figured he wanted some sort of response. Especially since he surely was aware that there are quite a few professing Christians at this site, I figured he was asking for debate. If not, he probably should have said so up front. But he made his claims often at length, I responded at length, and several others responded also. It's true he was probably the only one posting from the atheist point of view, but I don't know what to do about that.

I figured he was up for it and enjoyed it, since every time I opined, he had a chance to respond and prove how ignorant I am! ;)
I'm right there with you, some of my posts were contradicting his position. I probably should have left it to the moderators to determine if it was the appropriate thread for that. I do agree with you that he probably expected, and did not mind, the lively discussion.

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Darwin Day Lecture 2016

Post by GregD » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 am

Scott wrote:I think places in this thread crossed a line of giving equal space to both sides. If the OP is asking for debate and that is the intent of a thread, then great. If not, then I think we need to be very careful to not come into their clubhouse (atheism and agnosticism forum) to tell them they are wrong. The same as gun supporters don't want gun haters coming into the gun threads stating why guns are stupid.

Just a thought.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
In this case, debate was intended. From my end everything was good.

Return to “Atheism and Agnosticism”