My old roommate and Cuban refugee and Pres Obama!

All other Political discussion that does not affect our ability to enjoy the outdoors.
BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

My old roommate and Cuban refugee and Pres Obama!

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am

On the topic of Cuban refugees in general, since my poor old widowed mom had to move from city to city trying to keep work, my homelife through the 50s and early 60s was quite unstable. I was given the chance to attend a private school in north GA called Berry Academy/Mt.Berry School for Boys. Here were both rich boys, dirt poor boys and a few guys from China, Korea and Honduras. Every one there, rich or poor, was required to work year round at everything from dining hall, cleaning crew, maintenance, dairy, hog farm, etc on this 36,000 acre campus. All work to maintain this huge campus was done by the 9th-12th grade boys, supervised by adults. This work was considered an important part of your education. The minimal money paid to us for our work would pay the tuition for poor boys like me. In my freshman class(Sept 63) there were several Cuban refugees, whose families had managed to get them out of Cuba to escape Castro. Then a church got them to this school. As I worked off my tuition during the summer of 64, my room mate and good friend was a Cuban refugee named Luis Leon. He is now, and has been for some years, the head honcho of the "Church of the Presidents" in DC, St. Johns, where all presidents have attended at least occasionally. I hope to see him at our 50th reunion this May, Lord willing. Though he has gone quite liberal since leaving school, and I am the opposite, he is still my Berry Brother and I look forward to seeing him for the 1st time in 50 years. Here are pictures of my old room mate welcoming the Presidents to church:
https://www.google.com/search?q=picture ... LmPYy3M%3A

http://www.gettyimages.com/event/presid ... id71121294
Last edited by BillyBob66 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Re: My old roommate and Cuban rfugee and Pres Obama!

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 am

Just saw my old friend and room mate fro HS 50 years ago, Rev. Luis Leon, welcoming President Trump and VP Pence into St. John's for worship service! I will be watching later for my local Tupelo High School marching band! WhoooHooo! I pray the President Trump actually turns out to be a good president, good for the country, rather than just better than the alternative.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Re: My old roommate and Cuban rfugee and Pres Obama!

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:05 am

Only in America, land of opportunity! He arrived as a Cuban refugee escaping to FL from communist dictator Castro before he reached age 12. Then a church got him up to that tiny high school in N.GA, where he excelled in academics and athletics. Where I came to know him as team mate, class mate and occasional room mate. He has now overseen the inaugural worship service of 3 presidents, at the Church of the Presidents, St. John's in Washington, D.C. Only in America, God bless America!

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture ... XymL6wM%3A

Return to “All the other Political Stuff”