City Of Phoenix Considering "Stupid Hiker Law."

The title should be self explanatory. If it affects our ability to be practioners of hiking, backpacking, or camping, discuss it here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

City Of Phoenix Considering "Stupid Hiker Law."

Post by sarge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:17 pm

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: City Of Phoenix Considering "Stupid Hiker Law."

Post by Scott » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:50 pm

It is hard to compare driving through a flooded street, and getting into trouble on trail. But both can be irresponsible. I read two unfortunate stories so far this summer, one out of Tucson, and one out of White Sands. both went into the desert with basically a single small water bottle each, in the middle of the day. In white sands a 9 year old may have survived, both parents did not, and in Tucson, the grandpa and grandson neither made it. The laws can seem like a good idea, but how many of those billed will actually be able to pay it? One of THE biggest lessons I try to teach my kids is choice and accountability are connected. You cannot blame someone else for your actions and what comes from them. I wish more people did that, instead of outlawing stuff. Here in Austin, when the rivers finally get full enough to have some fun in moving water on kayaks, they close them because it could be dangerous. Driving with just a yellow stripe to keep the other driver out of my front seat is dangerous.

I applaud those who take others out and teach them that we can survive life / and the outdoors, and HOW to survive life (sarge et al). Common sense goes a long way.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:26 pm

As someone who has been involved in SAR activities, both in the military and civilian worlds, I have to say in about 95% of the cases people we rescued had to be rescued because they had a terminal case of the stupids. San Antonio has a stupid motorist law similar i think to Phoenix. If you cross a marked and blocked high water crossing, you will pay for your rescue. I applaud it. My first rescue of a civilian when i was Active Duty was someone who wondered into the desert way outside Nellis AFB trying to find the UFOs. I dont know the exact amount the rescue effort cost, but i am sure it was in the tens of thousands when you consider all the personnel and the airframes used to find the idiot.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:38 am

Scuba wrote:As someone who has been involved in SAR activities, both in the military and civilian worlds, I have to say in about 95% of the cases people we rescued had to be rescued because they had a terminal case of the stupids.
Like the kids who used the spot gps tracker. When they pressed the need help button, and SAR showed up, they said they needed more bottled water, but wanted to stay in the woods finishing their weekend party, like it was a room service call button or something. Send them a bill, no doubt.

What about SAR insurance? :roll:

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:09 am

Scott wrote:
What about SAR insurance? :roll:
I think I read someone's hiking blog where they did take out a "rescue policy".

Strange as that seems, someone will probably be making money...

Take it easy
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Just read this (if it needs to go somewhere else please move it)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/28/bo ... tcmp=hpbt3

Maybe one of the 5% rescues where they did what they could for themselves. There is not enough info to see if the dad was being stupid, or if the rock just fell? But it sounds like they dealt with it the best they could.

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:28 pm

I will add another stupid story. My niece and her husband were college students, and experienced outdoors. Both very intelligent most of the time. They were mountain biking in the mountains of Utah, and went to far, went past some summer snow banks on the trail that were much bigger than they thought, their shoes got wet, the sun went down, temps dropped, they were in lycra, she weighs about 90 pounds and started getting hypothermia, and they called for help. A helicopter was sent for them because a truck could not get there. To their credit when they called they thought someone would drive up for them. They swore my sister to secrecy for a while so no one would know how dumb they were.

They could have used insurance.

Return to “Politics that directly affect us as users of the Outdoors”