A Summer Underquilt

If you've made any DIY Videos, or there are some that you enjoyed and think might help people, post them here!
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

A Summer Underquilt

Post by sarge » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:15 am

For two out of the past four Butt Bakes, the temps have gotten down to where it felt cold enough to need a UQ. When the daytime temps are in the high 90's or low three digits, your perception of cold is a git different, I think, and 72 might feel as cold on a day like that as 65 might feel in Spring. To address that, I'm experimenting with a light quilt that's designed to "take the chill off" on nights like that. The method of construction is the same as it would be for a Climashield or other synthetic insulation quilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJw6NUg7olE

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: A Summer Underquilt

Post by bobamos » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:51 am

Simple and effective. Sort of like a windbreaker jacket.
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:23 am

bobamos wrote:Simple and effective. Sort of like a windbreaker jacket.
Thanks for watching!

and yah, that's pretty much the idea, combined with a light sleeping bag liner, I'm hoping this will be all I need to get me through those 68-74 degree nights when the day time temps are in the high 90s.

I weighs a bit more than I'd hoped. I could have gotten it in under a pound if I'd made it 48" wide.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Post by pofloyd1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Being new to hammocks and sewing, Watching this made me wonder how you came up with the size I think it was 5' x 6' and the width could have been 4'. I think you said you were 6' tall. So if I made my wife one like this would I base it on her height 5' ?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 am

Well, part of it is cuz I'm a bit lazy and took the easiest way out. The width was determined by using the narrowest width of the three fabrics, and using that as a guide to trim the other two. Going with the 4 foot wide would have required a couple extra steps in measuring and squaring things up. In this case, it would have saved some weight. The next one I make will definetly be 48" wide---and I've been considering going in and dismantling this one to the extent that I can trim a foot off of it. I want to test it before I do that.

The 6 foot length was done so I could get full coverage, and its something I debated for a while. Making something like this for such a narrow temp window where I could just as easily make myself too warm had me thinking about making it torso length. The prospect of cold shoulders or feet is what finally won the day.

Testing is going to have to wait until May or June, though. I want fairly high daytime temps combined with the near 70 nightime temps to make sure this dangting does what I think it will do.
My You Tube Channel

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Post by pofloyd1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks I have been watching videos and reading the forums trying to learn about the hammocks. Your videos are great by the way and have helped me start a lot of DIY gear.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:14 pm

pofloyd1 wrote:Thanks I have been watching videos and reading the forums trying to learn about the hammocks. Your videos are great by the way and have helped me start a lot of DIY gear.

Thanks for watching, and glad I could help!
My You Tube Channel

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 pm

I will be needing one of these under windbreakers. What is the material you use for the channels.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 am

Calait wrote:I will be needing one of these under windbreakers. What is the material you use for the channels.
Its some 1.9 Ripstop I got from RR_Trading Post on Ebay. I bout about 10 yeards of it three years ago and an just now reaching the end of my supply. Its probably the most useful stuff I have laying around, and its inexpensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOLIAGE-GREEN-7 ... SwyZ5UrCy5

Here's his store:

http://stores.ebay.com/rrt-trading-post

I've bought lots of stuff from him over the past couple of years. Always prompte delevery and refunded shipping on multiple items.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “DIY Videos”