VIDEO: Backpacking Meal Preparation

If you've made any DIY Videos, or there are some that you enjoyed and think might help people, post them here!
DaddyDaddy
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

VIDEO: Backpacking Meal Preparation

Post by DaddyDaddy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 am

I get asked often about meal preparation for multi-day hikes. This is a discussion and demonstration of the philosophy and process of setting up my meals for hiking trips. I hope this adds value to your hiking and camping experience.

https://youtu.be/rTpGeI4o5q8

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: VIDEO: Backpacking Meal Preparation

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks, Daddy, I will be watching that soon. Did you double post this thread by accident? Or is the other thread of the same title different some how? Maybe a part 2?
Bill
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

DaddyDaddy
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DaddyDaddy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 pm

That would seem to be a double post....not sure how that happened.....only one video. Lord, I don't think you would be able to stand watching one of my videos twice.....unless you're nuts.

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm

DaddyDaddy wrote:I get asked often about meal preparation for multi-day hikes. This is a discussion and demonstration of the philosophy and process of setting up my meals for hiking trips. I hope this adds value to your hiking and camping experience.

https://youtu.be/rTpGeI4o5q8
Did I miss it in the video? How much water do you add when rehydrating?

DaddyDaddy
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DaddyDaddy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 am

Mrs Baby Huey wrote:Did I miss it in the video? How much water do you add when rehydrating?
No ma'am. I didn't mention it. In truth what I have found to be true, whether a Mountain House Meal, my own dehydrated meal or others, is to put just enough water in to cover the food slightly. No more and certainly no less. I give it a thorough stir making certain to get in the corners and that every thing in the bag is getting moved around in the water. I generally have not had to add any more water to insure my meal is a pleasing consistency and I have also avoided the dreaded "soupy" meal.

I do make sure I give it plenty of time to hydrate. I generally get the water boiled and in the bag then leave it aside in the koozie and go do something else. Filter more water, start a camp fire if that's what we're doing that night, read War and Peace or dance a jig or best of all, set up my hammock. Usually about 10 - 15 minutes is more than enough time to have me in the sweet spot and it is always hot from the koozie.

I think folks in general think too hard about how much water to add to dehydrated or freeze dried meals. They want it to be more scientific or magical than it really needs to be. It's not rocket surgery we're dealing with here. If you have to add a little touch more water to make everything nice and let it sit a little longer, it's not the end of the world. Lolli-gagging is lost art....practice as necessary.

Hope that was helpful. If not....well, I'm a failure and someone can come shoot me in the face later. Just kidding. I'm being hyperbolic. It's one of my favorite pastimes. Just hit me back and I'll try to clean up any of the muddy bits. 8-)

You are not the first person to ask me this...guess I need to do a food re-hydration video. Any excuse in a storm..... :ugeek:

Return to “DIY Videos”