TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Fontus self filling water bottle

Post by TXyakr » Tue May 31, 2016 9:30 am

These two devices are winning a lot of crowd sourcing funds and both look interesting but based on previous solar still devices I am skeptical that especially in dry air they could produce enough water to make much difference based on the estimates the developers provided themselves. What do you think?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/font ... er-bottles#/

My very rough estimate is that with a relative humidity of about 40 - 70% (common where I camp if it is not about to rain) it would take over 3 hours to condense 1 liter (approx 1 quart) of water. And none at all at night when the air is typically more humid, unless you were using the electric USB device and had a fairly large battery pack. I.e. just carry all your electric energy or hang a much larger solar panel from your backpack. Model for bikes might be good for less extreme mountain bikers in humid climates.

If I was more optimistic and had $250 to spare I would give it a try, but am very skeptical. But hope this or something like it works because it would be great.

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Re: Fontus self filling water bottle

Post by Polkster13 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:36 am

I don't really see it as useful in backpacking unless you are in very dry area where water is VERY limited. But, the air is going to also be very dry, so I am not sure this would work well in desert climates. I can certainly see how it would be useful on a sailboat out on the ocean. But you would need a much larger container to hold the water as you will go through a lot more water than what the bottle shown can hold. I can certainly see it being useful for people on trail bikes. For what I do though, it wouldn't work for me.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Fontus self filling water bottle

Post by sarge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:01 am

Might be useful in climates like we have down here where its very humid and water sources dry up between June and September. But the question would be: does it actually work?
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Gear Reviews”