Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Osprey Exos 58

Post by Idaho Hanger » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 am

Finally picked one up at REI. Had my 20% coupon and a dividend, sold some unused gear and did it. I've always been a bit concerned about using such a lightweight pack but this one seems to carry the weight well. My base pack (12lbs, not including pack) carries very well. I did about 8 miles around my house with the dogs this weekend, adding 3 pounds of food and 1.5L of water and it still felt great. Had some minor tweaking the first few miles but now that it's dialed in I'm loving it. Nothing compares to hiking in the sound and feeling the breeze on your back. Still need to try it with a weeks worth of food weight but I am feeling pretty optimistic about it. For $220, 38oz with the lid removed, and a full frame I think it's a good option for lightening your load. Plus REI gives me the one-year return option so I can actually evaluate it on a few trips without a big risk of having an expensive piece that doesn't work for me.

Updates on actual field use will be coming in a couple weeks.

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Fastmatt
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Osprey Exos 58

Post by Fastmatt » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:38 am

I'm interested in your review as I've had this pack in my hand multiple times but I'm just nervous it won't handle a weeks load (I'm not a heavy packer it not a ultra lighter either. Usually 26-30 lbs total weight.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Re: Osprey Exos 58

Post by Idaho Hanger » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:32 pm

I've been carrying 18, plus the pack so about 21 and it's been great. 26-30 is going to be on the line. Osprey says 20-40lbs.

I'll load it up heavy tomorrow when I walk my dogs and let you know how it feels. Won't be getting it into the field until the weekend.

If you have an REI get one there and try it out. You have a year to see if it works for you.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Return to “Gear Reviews”