Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

iGage Weatherproof Paper

Post by Scuba » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Technology is awesome. I like things that go beep and boop. I have Maprika on my phone for phone GS on the trail. I have a Garmin Oregon with map overlays from the Lonestartrail.org on it (really nice). But I ALWAYS hike with paper maps. Batteries die. GPS can be wonky depending on the overhead coverage.

In the past I have taken maps i printed at home and had them Laminated at the local office box store. It works but they are sort of inflexible and rigid, and not exactly cheap.

Enter iGage Weatherproof paper.

I got a pack of 50 sheets of the 10 mil synthetic paper for about $40 and decided to give it a try.

- the paper is actually porous synthetic film
- available in 8 or 10 mil, the 10 mil is a little more robust feeling than regular paper, but not quite as thick feeling as a business card.
- Puncture and tear resistant, it is fold-able and can be used in most inkjet and laser printers

After I got it, i proceeded to print all 11 LSHT section maps on my HP Envy 7640 All in One, single sided. The company says you CAN print double sided, but with as much ink as shaded topo maps use, I didn't want to over-saturate the paper ( something the company warns about). After I printed them I let them sit to air-dry for 2 day (better to be on the safe side). Then today i threw them in the sink full of water for 5 minutes and proceeded to fondle them. After a few minutes, the maps are still smudge and bleed free, and the images look just like they did coming off the computer.

For less than $0.80 per sheet, I am VERY happy with this product and give it the Scuba seal of approval.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: iGage Weatherproof Paper

Post by sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:26 pm

So you can uswe regular printer ink?

Cool.

Gonna get me some.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: iGage Weatherproof Paper

Post by sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:10 pm

FWIW--

I went to the iGage website and bought one of the sample packs, 10 sheets at $13.95, both the 8 mil and 10 mil. I got the 10 mil

https://store.igage.com/cgi-bin/commerc ... PS15_10MIL
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Gear Reviews”