TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Battery Backup for USB Smartphone 100 Amp/hr $18

Post by TXyakr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:17 am

For those of you who don't want to run your vehicle to charge your phone and other USB rechargeable devices while camping far from electrical power sources here is one of many backup batteries for a reasonable price. Somewhat water resistant but I still put these in a dry bag. 1.5 Watt/hour tiny solar panel may fully recharge in ideal conditions in about 2 weeks so be sure to use power outlet at home to top it off before going camping then it should be able to recharge several dozen smart phones or even run a small laptop for a while. If you are in the wilderness for a few weeks be sure to take a large solar panel or other similar device (heat to electricity for example). Morphie makes some that are better but much more expensive.

100000mAh Dual USB Waterproof Solar Battery Charger Power Bank For Cell Phone $18 including shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100000mAh-Dual- ... 5731.m3795

I have several of these from 18,000 mAh to 50,000 mAh and some much smaller and this 100K (being an engineer I chop off 000 and say Amp hour) but whatever, useful when ice storms cause loss of power for several days and I don't want to hike to nearest fast food restaurant on slippery sidewalks just to charge all our family's devices. But mostly I take these camping and send with my kids on out of town sporting events so their phones are never dead.

Occasionally when in a remote area I must hike to a high spot to get a signal and call in my shuttle ride but at least I have power in my device. Worst case scenario someone gets injured and I need to hike up high to where I previously scouted out (online) a signal might be and call in emergency help for them, key is I always have battery power in at least one phone or satellite messaging device. But mostly I or someone else just wants a phone to take a lot of photos. I personally don't or just forget to take pictures because I live in the moment. Photos can't capture what it was really like to be there IMO.

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Re: Battery Backup for USB Smartphone 100 Amp/hr $18

Post by pofloyd1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks I just ordered one.

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:15 pm

A word about battery salesman. They lie like a liberal.
The battery linked above clams to have 100Ah in a package with a solar collector that is 190080 mm^3. If there were no solar collector and it was all battery that is a little more than 6 times the power density of the best rechargeable batteries. If it works for you that is fine but don’t trust their specks.
Do either of you have the ability to measure the capacity?

Traillium
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Traillium » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:33 pm

MagicPaddler wrote:A word about battery salesman. They lie like a liberal.
Up here in Canuckistan, we say battery salesmen lie like a conservative …

Bruce Traillium

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Traillium wrote:
Up here in Canuckistan, we say battery salesmen lie like a conservative …

Bruce Traillium
I figured I could say it on this site without getting censored. Hope you enjoyed it.

Traillium
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Traillium » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Grin!

Bruce Traillium

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:56 pm

The battery linked above clams to have 100Ah in a package with a solar collector that is 190080 mm^3. If there were no solar collector and it was all battery that is a little more than 6 times the power density of the best rechargeable batteries. If it works for you that is fine but don’t trust their specks.
Do either of you have the ability to measure the capacity?
I have been an Electronic Design Engineer for many decades and dealt with the Sales and Marketing departments plenty, they do what they can to move product... and make their commissions, it ain't rocket science on their part IMO. However, if you had actually read my assessment above you would have seen that I said: "1.5 Watt/hour tiny solar panel may fully recharge in ideal conditions in about 2 weeks..."
Basically I don't take the built in solar panel very seriously any person with a minimally functional brain who reads the reviews on this and similar device wouldn't either. Thus I recommended that you take something like this with you fully charged and one for far more charges than you think you may need. 18Amp hours gives most 2.5 amp-hour phones about 3-5 full charges i.e. there are some efficiency and I squared R losses (hope that is not too geeky for you). 50 Ah more, 100 Ah far more, depends on many factors such as ambient temperature, how old the device is, how fully discharged your phone is, what the battery capacity of your phone is etc. etc. I try to never refer to all sales and marketing people as liars, but most stretch the truth some, be an educated consumer and try not to get all emotional about it. Its a freaking $18 device. Heck even most Doctors exaggerate how successful they hope to be at helping you, are all Doctors liars do you avoid them?
I've designed multi million dollar fiber optic system for ultra secure government agencies with very little emotion and the sales guys still exaggerated, it is always expected by folks wearing big boy/girl pants.

BTW few years ago I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I just removed the battery and took 2 extra, this lasted for 2 weeks no problem because it was off most of the time. However, newer phones like S6 is very difficult to remove battery from (more like typical iPhone) and even with phone turned off and most power consuming apps removed or disabled it still drains the batteries after several days, so if you camp for long or justuse phone heavily best to have a way to recharge it, and not need to hike all the way back to your car or electric grid. I do wonder why phones drain batteries when they are turned off... one of those US government agencies using equipment geeks like me designed to remotely turn on GPS radios (hidden apps on timers) and send signals of your location to them just to track you... ha ha ha. No no no I'm only joking that is just not true... or is it? Putting your phone in a conductive mylar bag now?

Good info on maximizing the life of your mobile phone's battery (and backup battery as well), not overly technical so you should not need a degree in Electronic Engineering to understand it.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:28 am

Txyakr
You seem to be upset and I did not intend to do that and I was not referring to you when I said battery sales man were liars. I did not intend to insult you or your intelligence.
When someone says something is really really really good I could see that as exaggeration. If they state a battery has a capacity of 100 Ah and it only has 10 Ah I consider that to be dishonest. Another example would be to fill up your car at a gas station and have them charge you for 100 gallon of gas when your car only has a 10 gallon tank. I would consider this dishonest. The big differences between the two examples is everyone would know they were being cheated with the gas station example but not the battery example.
I have purchased several different types of rechargeable batteries and measured their capacity. My purpose in measuring batteries was to find the ability of different batteries to run a fish detector for a long time. My fish detectors draws about 130mA so I made a constant current source and set it to 130mA. I used an Aurdino to measure the voltage and current of the battery and record it every minute to a text file. Using this setup to measure different batteries I have found some sellers give reasonable specification for their batteries and others don’t. I have found that the batteries from HobbyKing.com come close to meeting the specks they clam in their ad for capacity at the current of 130mA. I have tested batteries from other sources at the same current that were about 1/20 of what their ad stated.
I have used the BatteryUniversity.com site you reference and found it to be useful with good information. Thank you. Have you measured the capacity of any of these batteries to see what their capacity is? When purchasing a battery it is difficult to know if you are getting a good deal if the capacity stated in the ad has nothing to do with the capacity of the battery. How many times can you charge your cell phone from one of your batteries? Do you know if the battery has over discharge protection to prevent over discharge if the battery is used for something other than charging another battery?

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 am

Basic formulas if you want to calculate it out for you self or derive them from Maxwell's equations and Euler's which would be more fun...

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electri ... ulator.htm

So if tiny solar panel only outputs 1.5 Watt (ideal conditions) and P = V*I and in ideal conditions battery has capacity of 100 Amp-hours then

1.5 Watt/5 V = 0.3 amps
100 Amp-hour / 0.3 amps = 333 hours at 1.5 Watts to fully charge from fully discharged.
Assume 50% charging efficiency at best because we don't live in lala land...
So about 500-700 hours using only tiny solar panel to charge if you are lucky enough to have many long sunny days with 10 hours of sun or bright skys... 30-60 days to fully charge with ONLY solar no other source! Or about 2 weeks of charging as often as possible to keep one smartphone rarely used operational is my rough estimation but this tiny solar panel is a gimmick I rely on the extra large battery to get me through. Seriously TAKE an much larger solar panel if you need a lot of power! I purchased a similar but much smaller one with solar panel many years ago the solar panel's charging is barely perceptible, I'm not sure why people get hung up on it, the primary purpose of this device is the rechargeable Li-Ion battery!

So like I said in my very first comment for those who may have actually read it, be sure to take this or any similar backup battery fully charged and don't expect the tiny solar panel to do you much good. I am pragmatic and do only that, I don't spend much time trying to generating electricity while in the wilderness because I have other things I'd rather do than play with electronics, so I conserve power. However, as I mentioned before if out there for a long time or taking many photos etc. a much larger solar panel or many of them may be a good idea or one of many SiGe Thermoelectric devices such as the PowerPot10 (generates up to 10 Watts in ideal conditions if carefully attended to, specs are not lies but perhaps exaggerations.)

Below is photo of some guy who does not suffer fool with silly comments:

Perhaps I should learn to be more patient with people like the good Book says:
http://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/11-19.htm

Where the term "Not suffer fools" came from? 2 Cor 11:19
Last edited by TXyakr on Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:33 pm

I read about the two week recharge. but then if this is 1/4 as good as claimed, It is still a better than the one at Walmart for the same price I was told to get. My wife wanted one to keep in the car just in case So thanks again.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:35 pm

How long does it last after being charged? Some of these can lose a charge after a while, right?
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:43 am

gmcpcs wrote:How long does it last after being charged? Some of these can lose a charge after a while, right?
I have just ordered this one, so not had long enough to tell you but read that article I linked from "Battery University" site and similar they know more about it than me. Other similar ones I have typically hold a charge for several months, it begins to drop but very slowly. A week later it may be down to about 95% but probably higher. One similar device I bought at Fry's electronics several years ago (about $50 20 Amp-hour) has an LED display that shows % charge remaining it holds very well even a month or two later about 96- 98% charge. It does not have a solar panel which I consider to be fairly worthless gimmick, but whatever, might as well put something semi useful on that otherwise blank side. IMO all mobile phones should have solar cells on their back sides, it would not fully recharge them or even come close but every little bit helps. However, 99% of the general public doesn't even understand basic technology, they would cry fraud and the panels would need to be removed, OMG the insanity.... Scotty Beam Me up! Little Sign of intelligent life on this planet... ha ha ha

Similar problems with Qi "wireless" chargers for Samsung mobile phones, they don't work if phone is in most cases so Apple will not put this technology in their iPhones. Not worth dealing with customers calling in to customer service complaining about it. Pains of Tech and uneducated consumers... it ain't rocket science but it ain't breaking rocks either. ;-)

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:15 am

IMO the biggest problem with Lithium-Ion batteries is that they can over heat and even catch on fire. Be sure to take precautions that this does not burn down your house or burn up your backpack. Hopefully someday soon there will be a better replacement for this technology, several new technologies are very promising but it takes many thousands of hours of testing to get full approval and into production etc. I had over heating issues with some batteries in a Samsung phone a few years ago but it did not burst into to flames like those hover-boards or on the airplanes that nearly crashed. Well perhaps that Malaysian airline did, who knows...

Another good article at Battery University (not a real university BTW):
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... ith_li_ion

Edit: Approximate number of full charges per backup battery???

Best rough estimate I can come up with based on my experience with similar lithium-ion backup batteries I have used in the past that were not very old or exposed to extreme temperatures etc. is about 25 for a Samsung Galaxy S6 with battery rated at 2,550 mAhr, similar for most new iPhone 6 models and many others less for Samsung notes and much less for tablet computers etc. There are significant efficiency losses when sending the energy from one battery to another, not sure how much, many factors but I would guess at least 50% is lost in most cases perhaps less in ideal situations.

boring math:
100,000 mAhr/2550 = 39 but subtract 50% for efficiency loss gives you about 20 full charges from 0% to 100%

So as most people know (read link I posted several comments above) bad idea to let phone fully discharge very often so if phone is fairly low you should be able to recharge about 20 - 30 times or keep it going for a month or two with this backup battery (never recharging the actual backup device) or about 5 similar smartphones for about 5 days perhaps.

All very rough estimates, this is not an exact science many variables and assumptions, obviously.

Oh and don't for get to pack cables for both Android and iPhone, I did this and backup battery was useless, oops... folks counting on me not happy! :oops:

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:13 pm

This is all good info.

I've used those little duracell back up batteries, and the small ones that look like a hockey puck with the built in cables, to charge the phone when I was out of touch with electricity. I might get one full to half charge out of it, pretty good for an overnighter.

If I ever get to the point of doing a multi day thru hike, or an extended off grid camping situation, having a larger capacity battery back up option would be vital, if not for the GPS, but for the book reading and entertainment...

(I still want to get so good with a regular map and compass to not need a gps/phone mapping tool though.)

Thanks for the info TXyakr, and BTW, if I was expecting to utilize someone else's battery to charge MY device, I would humbly submit that I would be the one to provide the appropriate cable/plug in :)

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:03 pm

Well a temp mailman must of had a bad day left mine at the wrong mailbox and the post office said they don't know where it is now. He also left the wife's hammock at another address and they were nice and drove down and gave it to us. Never had this happen in the 33 years that we have lived here.

Return to “Gear Reviews”