Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Generic Machined Fire Striker

Post by Flatliner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:49 pm

All,

I wanted to provide a review of some (supposedly) generic fire strikers that I purchased on a recent Amazon sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJ ... UTF8&psc=1

I ordered a couple of these thinking that i could afford to take a chance and wasn't out much if they weren't any good. I was very pleasantly suprised. The machining and the anodizing are of an acceptable quality and kick out serious spark. The package included an extra set of o-rings and instructions if you actually need them. (Honestly if you need them, you will likely struggle starting a fire with this or any striker, the device is NOT rocket science). I had read reviews that the threads on the ferro rod were a little sketchy but mine are effective and I am able to snug them with no issue. One word on the instructions. They appear to be a direct copy of exotac's documentation. They even say 'Proudly made in the USA'. THIS is my only big issue with this but it is a HUGE issue. These came from China with the requisite slow boat shipping. I knew this was a knock off product at a great price but I didn't realize it was a COUNTERFIT product. That seems like a big difference and the only reason I can't recommend this product.

Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Return to “Gear Reviews”