Sinfonian
Reactions:
Hammock: Grand Trunk
Tarp: Grand Trunk
Suspension: Whoopie slings etc.
Insulation: Big Angus 20 degree

Dutch buckle issues

Post by Sinfonian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Must say I'm new to these but the first time I used my Dutch buckle on my Dutch tree hugger straps with my Dutch whoopie slings, I sank to the forest floor as the clips slid down the straps. There is no up and down that I can tell so I don't think I had them upside down or anything, but I did end up making them work by turning them sideways.

The other problem I had was how tough it was to tighten up the buckle. It is very easy to let out slack and hard to reduce slack. Anyone have a trick to this? Dutch doesn't seem to get into that level of detail in his videos.

Any help on these issues is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sinfonian

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Dutch buckle issues

Post by Scuba » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:27 pm

look at the card that comes with the buckle carefully. You run your 1 inch tree strap through the buckle 3 separate times. If the buckle is sliding down the strap, you only ran it through the buckle 2 times.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Sinfonian
Reactions:

Post by Sinfonian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks I think. First off there was no documents with the straps and buckle.

Second I never touched them. I just awkwardly adjusted them to the right length and hooked my whoopie sling to the buckle. What you said is what Dutch said. He made it seem like I need to undo the strap from the buckle to adjust it. If thats the case, it is the direct opposite of how easy the whoopie slings are to use.

There must be an up and down on those buckles. There really needs to be a sign telling you so I don't find myself sitting on the ground again.

Now looking at it carefully as Scuba suggested, it looks like my problem was having the tag end of the strap facing the hammock. Having it facing the tree would have the sling putting the needed pressure on the tag end strap so it doesn't slip. Let me know if I'm seeing it right.

Thanks!
Last edited by Sinfonian on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:43 pm

there is an up and down but it is hard to tell. The buckle has two slots cut into it for the straps to feed through. The top hole is THICKER, thus allowing the strap to pass through it twice.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

Sinfonian
Reactions:

Post by Sinfonian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm

I will check that out. Thanks tons. Really appreciate the help.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Sinfonian wrote:What you said is what Dutch said. He made it seem like I need to undo the strap from the buckle to adjust it. If thats the case, it is the direct opposite of how easy the whoopie slings are to use.
The main point of the dutch buckles isn't really anything to do with whoopies themselves, but as a replacement for the Marlin Spike hitch and needing a toggle that people tend to lose. The buckle just replaces the MSH and toggle.

Sinfonian
Reactions:

Post by Sinfonian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:00 pm

I see. However compared to a MSH, the Durch Buckle is really hard to adjust. Removing and moving a MSH is really easy. After having problems last time I almost switched to a simple MSH. I'm determined to make this work though.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:27 pm

Here is what I do. I wrap my tree strap around the tree and adjust the buckle almost up to the tree. I then use the Whoopie for fine tuning.

Sinfonian
Reactions:

Post by Sinfonian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks for the tip. The time I had my problem the trees were farther apart than I'd like I was pleased my straps and slings had enough room. In the end I could have shortened the straps but it is so hard to do that I shortened the slings instead. I'm getting used to it slowly. Thanks for the tips. Glad to be here.

Sinfonian

Return to “Dutchware”