Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

--make a Continuous Loop

Post by Scuba » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:17 pm

Here is a good formula, or check out the video for a visual description:

C=Length of the starting piece
L=Desired finished length of the loop
B=Bury length
T=Taper on ends (usually 3/4-1")
Loss from the bury is about 25% of B. So for two buries we multiply B by 2.5.

C = 2(L) + 2.5(B) + 2(T)

So for an 8" finished loop with 4" buries and 1" tapers, it would look like this:

C = 2(8) + 2.5(4) +2(1)
C = 16 + 10 + 2
C = 28"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... coKeXAwBZY

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Re: --make a Continuous Loop

Post by pofloyd1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:17 pm

What size finished loop should I use to replace the whoopie slings so I could switch to cinch buckles ? Or would the 8" be long enough to add the buckles as well. Hammock is 60" wide gathered end para-nylon.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:32 pm

I use 12" loops.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies

Post by Scuba » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:18 pm

8 inch is standard.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Post by pofloyd1 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for info I am going to make some this week end. Any reason for using the 12" over the 8" ?

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies

Post by Scuba » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:55 pm

on continuous loops i feel 8 is perfect but going 10 is a personal preference. Just remember the longer the non adjustable portion of your suspension, the more you limit where you can hang.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:00 pm

pofloyd1 wrote:Thanks for info I am going to make some this week end. Any reason for using the 12" over the 8" ?
Part of it is because I generally prefer wider hammocks, so there's more material to bunch up. Most of it is making sure I have enough loop to make the wrap into the cinch buckle cover the entire leg of the buckle so that there's no slipping and cutting of the Amsteel by the buckle.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 am

Scuba wrote:on continuous loops i feel 8 is perfect but going 10 is a personal preference. Just remember the longer the non adjustable portion of your suspension, the more you limit where you can hang.
What he said. One way you can get an idea of your length is to measure your length of line in the hammock end. So, if you have a whoopie sling fixed loop end lark's headed on your gather of the hammock, mark where the tip of the fixed loop touches the standing side of the whoopie sling before you deconstruct it. (Or any sort of line you have there, this is assuming you are threading through a channel end hammock. If you are lark's heading around a whipped end, the measurement method would be the same)

You're just trying to get a general idea of how much of length of the fixed loop will be taken up in the gathered side. Then, like Sarge said, you can measure the wraps on your cinch buckle. Giving yourself a bit of room to maneuver, you should be able to get your non-adjustable portion as close as you would like.

On second thought, that sounds complicated, maybe just make them the standard length :-)

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Return to “How to---”