V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

DIY Apex UQ Part 3

Post by V_Allen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:55 am

Nearly done now. You did remember that gap I hope.
20150808_093257.jpg

Now that the sewing is done, Reach into that gap (between the 2 ripstop layers) and grab the opposite end. Very gently pull the quilt inside out. If you've made a mistake, now is when you'll see it.
20150808_093343.jpg
Ok we're done. Sew the small gap shut, add your suspension and hang it under your hammock.
20150808_101928.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: DIY Apex UQ Part 3

Post by DuxDawg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:21 am

Sweet! Thank you.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:31 am

Your quite welcome, DuxDawg!

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DuxDawg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:18 pm

By the way, very timely posts, at least for me. While I have been looking at several other DIY UQ tutorials, this one was the icing on the cake. Just in time! Received the email updates from USPS a few moments ago and all the stuff I ordered to DIY an UQ will arrive tomorrow. :D
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:48 am

Yes, I knew. Thats why I posted. :lol: There was a mild disturbance in the hammock force.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:21 am

Thank you for posting a really great tutorial! The photos are easy to follow. I will need to check into making me one of these. I have a nice full length down, but I think I need to try a three quarters length of this synthetic.

Keep up with the DIY tutorials!

Take it easy,
gmcpcs
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:36 am

gmcpcs wrote:Thank you for posting a really great tutorial! The photos are easy to follow. I will need to check into making me one of these. I have a nice full length down, but I think I need to try a three quarters length of this synthetic.

Keep up with the DIY tutorials!

Take it easy,
gmcpcs
Thanks gmcpcs! I have lots of diy/how to projects to post. I can post how to make a down UQ next, I guess. I put away all my down quilts when the Climashield Apex came out. Plus apex is way cheaper than down - like 1/4 the cost - also works when wet. Doesn't pack down to the size down can get to, but it's getting close. I'm looking at making an Apex peapod when I get the time. Winters getting close!

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:56 pm

I used a shell that was custom made by Dave at underquilts.com for mine. He took some ATACS-FG fabric and built me a shell that I just filled and sewed the ends...

I need to get the picture size thing figured out, I have some "down gathering" photos of that process that are pretty good.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:26 pm

gmcpcs wrote:I used a shell that was custom made by Dave at underquilts.com for mine. He took some ATACS-FG fabric and built me a shell that I just filled and sewed the ends...

I need to get the picture size thing figured out, I have some "down gathering" photos of that process that are pretty good.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

I once thought of making shells for down UQ's, but making them is a pain. I dont mind the odd one here and there, but most people don't know the detail that goes into making one or the shear amount of sewing time. I can make 3 Apex quilts in the time to make 1 down one. Don't get me wrong - I love down for its insulating qualities and the treatments for waterproofing are great, but (I keep saying that word) unless you buy in large bulk or know someone, down is just too expensive for me.

For pictures just resize to 600x400 and you'll be fine. I use Photoscape for all my resizing/editing (its free!).

Vince

Return to “How to---”