Climashield tq design/ build advice. Help me tom cruise!

Need a little guidance? Look here
kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Climashield tq design/ build advice. Help me tom cruise!

Post by kev137 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:51 pm

O.k. folks need some input and advice please. I should be getting a Dutch ware gift certificate for Christmas and want to use it to buy supplies for a climashield topquilt. I recently made an underquilt, and while not perfect it works well.

So my idea is to use kam snaps for the footbox. The problem is I'm not sure how to make it work. I was thinking of sewing a gross grain strip in between the shell layers on both sides in the foot box area, similar to how you would do a channel for the shockcord, and then putting the snaps onto that. But then I thought maybe I could do gross grain tabs every 8-10 inches a long the foot box area and put the snaps on those. Or just attach the snaps onto the material directly with no gross grain.

Next qaundrie. Taper or no taper. Seems to be a matter of personal taste, but what is the advantage of a tapered foot box? I like to squirm around and enjoy the space so will probably not taper, unless y'all have a good reason I should.

Dimensions? I'm right at 6ft tall and stout ( ok tubby but I'm working on it. Even without extra lbs I'm wide in the shoulders). So what are some size ideas. I live and mostly camp in Florida so don't foresee having to worry about snugging it up to tight. Heck if it's bellow 30° ( it happens sometimes) I ain't going camping.

O.k. one last thing ( for now ) does a differential cut really make a difference with climashield? On my underquilt I made the outer layer an inch wider all the way around and it looks nice and fluffy. Made sewing a bit tricky, but I plan on sewing shell together first then sewing on insulation to make it easier to manage. The question being other than making it look good, what other purpose does it serve with climashield

Thanks on advance for your input. I've never been to a group hang, and most of my gear is diy. So I've never seen any professional made quilts up close ( other than my snugpak underblanket).

" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Climashield tq design/ build advice. Help me tom cruise!

Post by sarge » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Here's a suggestion that might make things easier for sewing, and provide back up for the snaps:

I cut a 2-3" wide strip of material---whatever I have laying around, nothing special---and lay that along the edges of the CS, and sew with the CS facing up, the strip laying on top. This allows me to sew without having to worry about the fibers getting caught in the foot and provides three thicknesses of material, plus the CS, to support the snap. It doesn't add that much weight and won't be seen after you turn it right side out.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:12 pm

sarge wrote:Here's a suggestion that might make things easier for sewing, and provide back up for the snaps:

I cut a 2-3" wide strip of material---whatever I have laying around, nothing special---and lay that along the edges of the CS, and sew with the CS facing up, the strip laying on top. This allows me to sew without having to worry about the fibers getting caught in the foot and provides three thicknesses of material, plus the CS, to support the snap. It doesn't add that much weight and won't be seen after you turn it right side out.
On my underquilt I used some thin 1" nylon ribbon my wife had in her sewing drawer (don't tell her ;) . Ran out 3/4 of the way around though and had to fight the climashield for the last little bit. It definitely makes it much easier to deal with.

Sarge I know you are a big fan if the kam snaps ( your praise is the reason I'm going to try them). How strong are they? For example if I were to put snaps at the corners of my top quilt and snap on some gross grain loops with line locks on them would the snaps be strong enough to hold the quilt up as a double duty underquilt? I know you used em in your Costco quilt 2.0 and they worked to make a channel for the suspension.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:53 am

I first found out about Kam Snaps from Chris Zimmer. He uses them to snap the tops of his packs. I was impressed by them so much that I emailed him and asked where I could get some. I likely wouldn't want to count on them to keep a parachute attached to a harness, but anything less than that would be OK by me.

I do find that on my snap together TQs, I can unsnap the top one if I move a very great deal in my sleep. I've countered that by putting a couple close together near the top and haven't had a probloem since.

FWIW, I'd just sew the corner loops in when I did the seams around the quilt.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:56 pm

No experience with snaps. But for the rest:

Having a taper reduces weight and bulk. Depending on what temp rating you want bulk might be a bigger factor for climashield. The area removed will be equal on both sides so calculate the area of a rectangle with the height and base width of your taper's triangle and decide if the savings are worth it for you. You might end up with enough scrap CS to make a second little project.

I would lay on my back and have someone measure from just under one shoulder over your chest to just under the other. Then do the same for your midsection and feet. Should give you an idea especially if you're experimenting with the idea of a taper. Second maybe more importantly, ARE YOU A SIDE SLEEPER? If so you probably want it to be much wider to cover almost all the way around you.

There is less of a need for a differential on a top quilt vs bottom and I would assume even less so for climashield as opposed to down.

Good luck! Try and post some pics when you're done. I always like seeing others DIY stuff.

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks for the input. I probably will not taper as I move around a lot. I start out on my side but usually end up on my back. The kids will have fun measuring me I'm sure!

I wish I had it made already as tonight would be a good testing night. It's supposed to be in the 40's overnight. Cold for us ( north florida) and about as cold as I like to go camping. Not crazy about freezing temps, most of the reason I live in Florida. I respect the guys who go out in negative and single digit weather, it is just not for me.

Return to “How to---”