V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

DIY Climashield Apex UQ Part 2

Post by V_Allen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:42 am

Now we'll start pining everything together. Your going to need lots of pins. I use quilting pins as they're longer and easier to work with on thick materials.

Place the cut Apex on top of the 2 ripstop sheets we cut out. They should be the same dimensions. Take the suspension channels we just made and place them in between the 2 ripstop pieces along the edges. Place the sewn edges of the channels toward the outer edges and line everything up on the edges. Do this for all 4 pieces of channel material. Its important to get this part straight because undoing everything at the end is a royal pain. Take your time and do it right.
20150807_173803.jpg
Now pin everything together 1 inch from the edge. This is why we needed a 1" seam allowance all the way around. Use lots of pins! I use a pin every 2-3 inches. Line the pins up straight around the entire perimeter but leave a small 7-8" unsewn gap.
20150807_184502.jpg
Believe it or not, the hard work is already done! Now we need to sew the entire perimeter together. You can sew it with the Apex up or down - which ever is comfortable for you. I sew it with the Apex up. Follow the pins and go slow. I sew 2-3 inches at a time. Be careful of the Apex material getting caught on the foot of your sewing machine. I use my fingers to press the Apex down before the foot. Don't push or pull the material - let the machine do that. I use 7-8 stitches per inch for this part. You don't need a super tiny stitch. Dont forget the small gap !
20150808_091225.jpg

The important part ----- when you sew the perimeter leave a 7-8" unsewn gap. You need this open gap to pull the inside out. If you go all the way around you will have to rip open the edge to make a hole. Yes, I'm repeating this as its easy to forget when your sewing away like a mad thing!

Part 3 will show all this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: DIY Climashield Apex UQ Part 2

Post by sarge » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:41 am

I sometimes get the Apex caught up in the presser foot. What I do about that is use some strips of scrap a couple inches wide pinned on top of the Apex. They don't have to be cut exactly, or even be continuous, and they aren't visible on the finished product unless you're using a very light colored outer shell and a dark color on the scrap.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: DIY Climashield Apex UQ Part 2

Post by V_Allen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:54 am

sarge wrote:I sometimes get the Apex caught up in the presser foot. What I do about that is use some strips of scrap a couple inches wide pinned on top of the Apex. They don't have to be cut exactly, or even be continuous, and they aren't visible on the finished product unless you're using a very light colored outer shell and a dark color on the scrap.
Excellent point sarge. Thank you for posting it.
V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

Return to “How to---”