V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Simple and strong grosgrain tarp ridge line

Post by V_Allen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 am

I was asked to explain how to make a grosgrain ridge line for tarp, so here it is.

1. When you get your tarp material it will probably need to have the ends squared. I simply fold the material in half lengthwise and using a metal ruler trim both ends square. Once this is done, cut it into 2 equal pieces.

2. I next sew a 3/8" hem on 3 sides of the 2 pieces, leaving 1 long side unhemmed. Put the 2 pieces together and line up the unsewn edges. Now I join the top edges using a 1/4" line.
5.jpg
3. Starting with a 6" tail, sew a piece of 1/2" grosgrain down the bottom edge - be careful to align the material and grosgrain edges. Leave a 6" tail at the end. Flip the tarp over and leaving a 6" tail, sew another piece of 1/2" grosgrain down the top edge and leave another 6" tail. What your doing is making a sandwich of two pieces of grosgrain with the two edges of the tarp in between. You'll have 2 tails on each end.

_____________________________________ Grosgrain w/tail
---------------------------------------------Top Tarp Edges
_____________________________________ Grosgrain w/tail
6.jpg
Now sew the bottom edge of the grosgrain again. The top and bottom edges of the grosgrain are done.

Loop the end grosgrain tails (both of them) thru a steel ring or Beastee D ring/triangle and sew the top and bottom edges. Do the same for the other end. I put a small bar tack on each end.
7.jpg
Lastly, sew a line down the center of the grosgrain. You can flip it inside out and seam seal if you want.

This type of ridge line is very strong and only adds a couple ounces to the tarp. By hemming the two short sides and one long side of the 2 pieces first, the tarp ends should come together evenly with no overlap of one edge.

Thats it. Now finish the tarp pull outs and side pull outs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Re: Simple and strong grosgrain tarp ridge line

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Wow,

Thanks for the posting and pictures. I would imagine that you could bounce a large tree limb off that ridge line!

Take it easy,
gmcpcs
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Simple and strong grosgrain tarp ridge line

Post by V_Allen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:05 pm

gmcpcs wrote:Wow,

Thanks for the posting and pictures. I would imagine that you could bounce a large tree limb off that ridge line!

Take it easy,
gmcpcs
Your welcome, gmcpcs! I've had the ridge so tight that it hummed in a wind storm. The rings will deform before the ridge does anything. The sandwich of material is tight enough that I don't seam seal my own tarps. I do it for others as it's one less thing for them to worry about.

I've always had trouble with making a straight flat felled seam so I switched to this and never looked back.
V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

Return to “How to---”