kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Re: chamelion by dutch...??? may be too close to Sparrow

Post by kev137 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:19 pm

I think that the market is large enough to suport both Dutch and Dream Hammocks. They are similar to each other I agree, but Papa Smurf still has the edge on custom made one of a kind hammocks. The Chamelian is a nice design and the D rings and modularity of it make it interesting. But it is still an off the shelf hammock. You can customize it to your liking and that's nice, but it's not the same as having a Smurf make you the hammock you want by hand just the way you want it. Nothing wrong with either one, but if I were to spend $200+ on a hammock i will get a Dream. Both are comfortable and top notch I am sure, I just would want the hammock that was made just for me.

" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

DaddyDaddy
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DaddyDaddy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:01 am

kev137 wrote:I think that the market is large enough to suport both Dutch and Dream Hammocks. They are similar to each other I agree, but Papa Smurf still has the edge on custom made one of a kind hammocks. The Chamelian is a nice design and the D rings and modularity of it make it interesting. But it is still an off the shelf hammock. You can customize it to your liking and that's nice, but it's not the same as having a Smurf make you the hammock you want by hand just the way you want it. Nothing wrong with either one, but if I were to spend $200+ on a hammock i will get a Dream. Both are comfortable and top notch I am sure, I just would want the hammock that was made just for me.
I sleep full time, as in every night, indoors and in the woods, in a custom made DH from Papa. It is a treasure to me. You make a valid point about custom versus off the shelf. I spent way more than two Benjamin's for mine but it is also where I sleep and nap day in and day out. Have you priced a premium mattress set lately?

I see the rift forming as well. Discretion is the word of the day for me on the matter. This too shall pass. 8-)

CrackerJack
Reactions:
Hammock: 12' SLD TL
Tarp: 12' SLD TH/12' HG WP
Suspension: Straps & Buckles
Insulation: HG 20 / 40 sets

Post by CrackerJack » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:08 am

I've been looking for a interchangeable net / top cover hammock, but have yet to see one available in a 12' long version...I'll grab the first one that is available (very likely Dutch from my conversations with both) but until then SLD will get all my hammock $$$ and I'll deal with the net being stuffed in bag at the peak and the tiny non-separable zippers.

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm sure it's going to turn into a ford vs Chevy type thing. I prefer to make my own hammocks so I don't have a horse in that race. If nothing else at least both are made in America and not China.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:13 pm

kev137 wrote:I'm sure it's going to turn into a ford vs Chevy type thing. I prefer to make my own hammocks so I don't have a horse in that race. If nothing else at least both are made in America and not China.
:roll:
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

G_Man
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by G_Man » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:43 pm

This whole thing reminds me of Dutch's food thread. I think a lot of people were under the impression he was coming out with meals, when all he did was start stocking the components to put together a meal on your own. Now he "releases" a new hammock, which turns out to be a kickstarter available in a few months. Great marketing? Yes. Impressing the non fanboys? I don't think so.

Research his "bling" sometime, a lot of those ideas were given to him....

I won't even get into the comparisons, that's been covered already.....
Keep your booger hook off the boom switch until you're ready to fire!!

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:05 am

I have a lot of Dutch bling, but no hammocks from him. The Kickstarter thing had me doing a "wHHAttTT!?". I take time to research things. The kickstarter thing just seemed like a "send me money so I can stock stuff", and if enough sent funds, then they opened up options? I will say, back late last year, I started looking at a custom hammock, as I sleep on my back or LEFT side at home. So I've been thinking to get a "head right, feet left" hammock. The hammocks I have now, if I lay on my left, I get a face full of fabric or no-seeum. The threads on Dutch's new hammock, got me researching Dream Hammocks and shopping around for ready-made hammocks where you can lay either direction.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Can never have enough options on an idea. Being a head right feet left sleeper there are not enough hammocks that fit that need. But all in all, I like what Dutch has done here.... Only wish that I could afford, read that "JUSTIFY" with the wife, making a purchase.
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:19 pm

bobamos wrote:Can never have enough options on an idea. Being a head right feet left sleeper there are not enough hammocks that fit that need. But all in all, I like what Dutch has done here.... Only wish that I could afford, read that "JUSTIFY" with the wife, making a purchase.
buy it, beg forgiveness later. :mrgreen:
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:39 pm

rhjanes wrote:
bobamos wrote:Can never have enough options on an idea. Being a head right feet left sleeper there are not enough hammocks that fit that need. But all in all, I like what Dutch has done here.... Only wish that I could afford, read that "JUSTIFY" with the wife, making a purchase.
buy it, beg forgiveness later. :mrgreen:
Trust me, I am truly thinking in that direction.... :lol:
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:52 pm

WOW......I did not think that my posting would get 750 plus views and 20 plus comments. I was just pointing out the close relationship of the hammocks. There has been good things said about the hammock and I am pleased.

Dutch has got a good hammock with the chamelion. I really like the new suspension options he has put forth. I hope to get some of it soon. My wife has been converted. (And the hammock congregation said....?) She may not want to do a lot of hiking, however, she really likes the group hang stuff.

With the new way to hang 2 hammocks without stacking.... looks like a 12 x 12 tarp needs to come along. Just a thought.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:49 am

^^ "Amen"
Call me Junior

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GoatHanger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:30 pm

I have been away for awhile, and only lurk occasionally. People are way too concerned about things that don't concern them. It's what's wrong with the entire world.

I have SEVERAL hammocks. Like 14 at one time. Thinned it out a bit, down to about 10 or so? Not sure.

Anyway, the one I always go back to is my Trail Lair from Simply Light Designs. I could probably let every other one go. Not that one though. It doesn't have any fancy options. It's not sold with "slick" marketing, and Jared doesn't care what anyone else comes out with or "innovates",and he doesn't compete for attention or bad mouth anyone. He just silently and consistently makes solid gear.

I don't see a need for anything else.

I didn't proofread. Hope that came out okay.
This is my signature.

rich424
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rich424 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Absolutely no reason any hammock should be $200. Greed and capitalism at its worst. No wonder so many people are DYI in this hammock fad. Hopefully me calling it a fad won't hurt people's feelings but when Walmart has a end cap of hammocks and mermaid pillows then it is just that. I don't own a Walmart hammock but they have 10' doubles for $29.00 with straps. I bet if you took that Walmart hammock and threw a Dutch tag on it people would throw their money on the table no matter what the price. I'm not knocking his stuff since it is quality but $200?

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm

rich424 wrote:Absolutely no reason any hammock should be $200. Greed and capitalism at its worst. No wonder so many people are DYI in this hammock fad. Hopefully me calling it a fad won't hurt people's feelings but when Walmart has a end cap of hammocks and mermaid pillows then it is just that. I don't own a Walmart hammock but they have 10' doubles for $29.00 with straps. I bet if you took that Walmart hammock and threw a Dutch tag on it people would throw their money on the table no matter what the price. I'm not knocking his stuff since it is quality but $200?

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
Well, I'll disagee wwith the idea that there isn't any reason why a hammock should be $200. Craftsmanship and innovation will justify that price and there will always be a market for both.

As to the rampant fanboyism that's taken over the community, I'm right with you there. I watched in amusement while people were extolling the virtues of the Chamelion and how it bore no resemblance to the Sparrow and they hadn't even been delivered yet.

Now, deliveries are delayed and a bit caddywampus, the few people who have gotten them are guys with hammock related You Tube channels.

I wonder if those folks realize that if they had ordered their Sparrow, I mean Chamelion, from Dream Hammocks, they'd have them by now.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Dream Hammock”