hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

chamelion by dutch...??? may be too close to Sparrow

Post by hikehunter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:37 am

I have seen a few reviews on dutch's new hammock. It is very much like the Sparrow. I feel that a lot has been "barrowed" from the Sparrow.

The only thing I see as "new" is the spreader bar "bling" to hang 2 hammocks from the same trees without "stacking"

What do you think?

There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: chamelion by dutch...??? may be too close to Sparrow

Post by sarge » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 am

Everything has been timed very nicely. Three video reviews come out the same day---almost at the same time---as the Kickstarter release.

Its basically a Sparrow with a new zipper and great marketing campaign, including an army of fanboys coming to the rescue if anyone mentions any kind of bird at all.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:17 am

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought that. As a relative newcomer though, I was a bit reluctant to ask, "isn't this basically the same thing as PapaSmurf's?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 am

Question about Raven VS Sparrow. What are the main differences, besides price.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:06 am

Is the sparrow reversible for right or left lay? That seems to be a strong selling point they are pushing. He definitely has a strong following if there are already almost 300 backers. I can't imagine 300 people were just on the verge of ordering a $200 hammock. His marketing is great.

There is a thread about the zipper being one letter off from YKK's similar version. Unfortunate if an honest mistake like Dutch explains in the thread.

multi-buckle vs spiders?
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 am

Further research, answering (i Think) my own question. Sparrow isn't reversible. But all the Dream hammocks seem to be order-able for left vs right lay. Raven is the one that can be used either way, without specifying. I'm liking that option!!! at home, I sleep on back or left side. In my existing hammocks, they are all left-side of RL, is head side. So I face the fabric if I roll left......
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:26 am

I want to clarify that I am NOT curling up my nose at Dutch or his Chameleon, or his marketing. I like his stuff. Mine was a question out of pure ignorance. I don't have $200 to drop on his OR PapaSmurf's fine hammocks...yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:47 am

Plus One to Kinglonestar. I am not "slamming " Dutch. He has some good stuff. I use some of his "bling" on my rigs.
Just, it is strange how close it is to Randy's. Dutch is putting out a hammock system that the pieces
can be mixed or matched. Kinda smart.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 am

The Sparrow, like most of the Dream Hammock hammocks is a symmetrical hammock...UNTIL you put a net or overcover on it. The net or overcover is what makes them asym. Now the Raven is a truly symmetrical hammock, and is the newest in the Dream Hammock line. I won't get into the Dutch discussion as it is a waste of my time and most people who know me already know what I think.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

Post by johnspenn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 am

The lay is fully reversible, and the bug net and over cover can be "flipped" as well. Looks like Dutch has also invented a new type of zipper, and has a patent pending on it.

And of course the bling is original, along with the straps.

Sure there are similarities but it's a pretty sweet inovation IMO.

Like others, I don't have two Benjamins to drop on it (I'd have to drop four anyway, for me and my wife) but it is tempting. I'll just stick to my plain old table cloths for now!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:40 am

Like the Sparrow, its symmetrical until you put the cover on. You have to listen very carefully to catch that part.

Basically, what Dutch has done is "improve" Randy's design by adding a new zipper.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:29 pm

I don't have much interest in either hammock, so I haven't "thoroughly" inspected them.

The ends of the chameleon appear to be finished the same or close to the way dream hammock does them. When Dutch announced the zipper he expressed the idea of being able to use/remove nets and covers. Being able to flip the net, I am thinking, would require a fair amount of math to make sure his and sides and angles are going to match where necessary between the ridge line, net and hammock sides. Unless the chameleon specs match the dimensions and pullout positions of the sparrow, I am thinking there would be enough ground-up design to constitute a legit product rather than a blatant ripoff with a new zipper.

But I'm no patent lawyer, maybe Tom Hennessy is going to come out and sue both their pants off for all I know.

DaddyDaddy
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DaddyDaddy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:26 pm

I have an opinion on this and at least one other "innovation" floating around. I will only share said opinion around a fire if asked and pressed hard. Otherwise, just don't really feel like getting nailed to that particular cross today or any other.

There is one fact to be sure. The man has legitimately earned the reputation of a Juggernaut for marketing and production. 8-)

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Some opinions are better left for the woods and not in public forums. I tell my kids all the time that if they don't want the world know it, don't write it and definitely don't post it. There is still a place in society for discretion.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Matthew2000tx
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Matthew2000tx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 pm

I will say that having been off the internet corner of hammocks for a year or two since my son was born and coming back on this past week on the usual hangouts online where us hangers lurk it sure is a very interesting time to get connected back the the Hammock Online Community.

Reading the posts and seeing all the usual Youtubers promote the new Dutch hammock. It's like a civil war is about to break out between DH and Dutch fans.

I have not see any of Dutch's hammocks or laid in one so I will not comment but I've been in a few Dream Hammocks before. They were nice. I'm sure the Dutch's hammock will be nice as well.

Based on my unique perspective of returning to the online community this week. My take on it is that Dutch's new hammock seems to be really polarizing the hammock community. (not on this site but on others I lurk at). It seems that when one of two people point out the similarities between the DH and Dutch there is instant dismissal of their thoughts and wealth of replies that seem to defend Dutch from a large group of people that haven't seen the new Dutch hammock in person. It seems many people like this hammock and are ready to defend it without ever laying in it and on the opposite end of the coin there seems a smaller number of people who pointing out it's a copy cat without having seen Dutch's hammock in person. One could argue that without seeing them side by side it's unfair to make one claim or another.

Could it be that both Randy and Dutch have undeniably helped grow the hammock community over the years and each has people that are loyal to them and willing to stand up for them? I would say yes, absolutely.

My concern is that this Kickstarter has started riffs among people who ultimately want to just hang and have a good lay. Hopefully this kickstarter has not started a riff among hammock lovers. Remember lets get out there and hang. Personally, I don't care what you hang (Dutch, Dream Hammock, Hennessy, ENO, Woot or DIY) as long as you enjoy your lay.
<>< Matthew R. <><
K5NON
Bike4Heck.com
Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Return to “Dream Hammock”