GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Robic 1.0

Post by GregD » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 pm

I made myself an 11 foot hammock out of Robic 1.0, inspired in part by Dream Hammock offering single layer hammocks out of this material earlier this year. Apparently there have been issues; Dream Hammock no longer offers such hammocks. How bad was the experience with these hammocks? I'm around 180 lbs. and I'm not sure whether I should go ahead and use my hammock carefully, or expect it to fail and pitch it (in the trash, that is).

It is a very light weight piece of gear. But if it is likely to fail on me, I'll stick with my heavier but bomb-proof Hennessy.

Any thoughts, Papa Smurf?

Thanks!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Robic 1.0

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:20 pm

I think its all in how its cared for. I slept in a hammock made of 1.1 nylong ripstop every night for a year and a half, used it in the field before, during, and after that period and never had a problem. Vendors have stopped marketing those, too. My opinion is that folks who have had problems with both fabrics just didn't take care of it, or did stuff like get in the hammock with their shoes on or a knife in their pocket, or some such foolery as that.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

PapaSmurf
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PapaSmurf » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 pm

I personally like the fabric and have spent a few nights in this myself at 240ish. If treated like a piece of UL gear, the hammock should work just fine for you. Keep in mind though that this is indeed a pretty thin and lightweight fabric, so things can and do happen from time to time.

One of the biggest issues a new hanger faces is the constant emphasis to use the very lightest fabrics available. In my opinion a brand new hammock user should start out with gear that will work well for their experience level and intended use or camping style. It should provide enough support and durability while they get use to how to use their gear, not necessarily the very lightest thing that will hold them off the ground. I was spending a lot of time trying to convince folks not to use the fabric. In the end, it was just easier to stop offering it.

A while back, I had a gentleman contact me who had never laid in a hammock. He wanted a Dream Hammock that weighed no more than 420grams (14.8oz). He didn't care what size, color, model or features. He hadn't thought about a tarp or insulation yet. He just knew that it could weigh absolutely no more than 420grams so he could keep his pack weight exactly where he wanted it. I politely refused the project.

Had another gentleman purchase a single layer Robic hammock and about 3 weeks later he noticed a small hole forming in the fabric. After speaking with him, I found out that the hammock had been hung out in the back yard and left up continuously without a tarp for the entire 3 weeks. Who needs an ultralight back yard hammock?

Hope this helps answer your concerns.

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:44 pm

So, treat it gently and don't expect it to last forever. That is the situation I was hoping for. I can do that. Pretty much ALL lightweight gear is that way - even poop scoops and stakes. The one exception is Amsteel and similar products; that stuff is crazy strong.

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Dream Hammock”