Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: light wait cook set for hiking and packpacking

Post by Scuba » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:51 pm

more details needed, what items ? utensils, pot, plate, cup?
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Spaceman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Spaceman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:10 pm

What kind of cooking to you plan on doing?

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22 pm

Sargevining puts together a real nice one sort of like this. It is based around a cheap China gas cannister stove, an imusa 12 cm pot, and a plastic coffee can. Mine weighs about 24 oz with a 2/3 full gas cannister.

I can't get the picture to load... I'll try tomorrow when I can get to a computer to resize...
IMAG1128.jpg
I can also show you may Foster's beer can pot, with a venom alchy stove. I can make coffee and boil about a cup and a half of water with it. It's about 8 ozs without the fuel.
IMAG1125.jpg
I also have a woodburner, but don't use it very often due to the burn bans... It's pretty heavy with a nice skillet, 24 oz.

I suppose it will matter if you do freezer bag cooking too;

I use quart Ziplocs inside a shiny backed pouch to heat meals.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:24 am

Here's the woodburner:
IMAG1132.jpg

And the plastic coffee can. A cozy is made for the pot, and a larger lid for it.
IMAG1129.jpg
Take it easy,

GMCPCS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:43 pm

If all you need to do is heat some water and can use either alcohol or Esbit, take a stroll through your local grocery stores. Goya makes a 12 oz Vienna sausage can, which can j-u-s-t hold 3/4 cup of water. it is easy enough to heat about 10 oz water, pour some off, then heat more, resulting in fewer spills. Back to the "pot," there are a few other foods that might be found in this size can, flimsier cans, maybe, but sometimes they can be found. I think I saw some canned pasta or something in this size aluminum can at Big Lots once. A step down in size but maybe easier to find are the canned chip dips. They hold closer to one cup and may be more tedious to use due to small size. For a lid, use aluminum foil, cut off the sausage can top with a side-cutting can opener, or cut down an aluminum can from cheap cat food. Hmm, I may have to remake my pot, as when I made mine, the side-cutters were not on the market, yet. Even if you toss the contents of the cat food and the nasty Vienna sausages, you will have a cheap but reliable pot and lid. Heat with solid tabs or alcohol. My preference is solid fuel, but I've used my pot with smaller alcohol stoves made from small juice cans (V-8) or two cups from tea candles. For a stand, I started with a circle of hardware cloth (wire), then either a SGT Rock TiPod, no longer made, or a titanium wing stove. The TiPod is more fidgety, but lighter and more stable once assembled. If you need larger, consider a large beer can pot. Your efficiency may decrease with a tall, narrow pot, but these two suggestions may be the lightest and cheapest options around. Of course, I own all sorts of cooking options from white gas and stainless steel pots to titanium and butane stoves. What I seem to go back to for simplicity and weight savings are the Tipod with a homemade pot and solid fuel.

robislookin
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by robislookin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:42 pm

for your cook pot check out the "Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Kit" from Walmart with the extra cup you are looking at $20. check out YouTube vids on this set.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
~Albert Einstein

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

light wait cook set for hiking and packpacking

Post by Mophead » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

It depends a lot on what you want to do and budget. Do you do a lot of cooking? Long trips? Want a quick boil? Probably should go with a cannister stove. The BRS 3000 is only 25g and under $15. link

If you want to go lighter and cheaper or do shorter trips you can look up instructions to build an alcohol stove and windscreen.

As far as a cook pot goes it seems the lightest reasonably sized with a lid is the toaks 550. It weighs less than 3oz including the lid. link

If you want to go cheaper and/or lighter: beer can pots or aluminum cans. Take a magnet to the store and check canned goods that are about the size you want. If the can isn't magnetic it is aluminum and will be lighter and last much longer than regular cans.

Return to “Wanted”