sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Let's Take Kristi Camping! 18-20 September

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:48 am

Come on down, Flash. "Korean Pond" is the name we gave to the pond at the intersection of the Sand Branch Trail and the Little Lake Creek Loop.

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/medium/01 ... ess_sc.pdf

We were camped there for "Hiker's Thanksgiving" last year when 38 (yes we counted them) Korean tourists walked through the campsite.

Yes, you could park at Parking Lot #2 and then go east on the Lone Star Trail until it intersects with the Sand Branch until you come up on the pond and wait for us on the far side.

If you can come out on Friday night but don't want to do the night hike, we can arrange a meeting time, or you can call me and I can meet you at Parking Lot #4 and guide you in. Last time out there I was shown a quicker and safer route for night hiking to the campsite on an old logging road that beats the heck out of night hiking on the trail.

We could also wait on you Saturday morning. The hike from the Friday campsite to Korean Pond isn't but a couple of hours long and we don't need to get going first thing in the morning.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

flashcb
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by flashcb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Friday is out for me, have a Lodge meeting Saturday morning, and it's my turn to cook. I would probably be a able to catch up with ya'll around 4 or 5 that afternoon, so I don't want to get in the way of your plans. May be a moot point as I won't know for sure I can make till after Labor Day, but I find the scheming a pretty good distraction.
"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane" J.B.
WWW.TEXASGUNTALK.COM
www.Magnoliamisfits.com
www.Pleasanthill380.org

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:37 pm

No problems, Flash. We'll definitely be at Korean Pond by 1700 on Saturday.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:52 am

Look like Tom is 99% in, GoSpidey told me to put him in dark pencil, Uncle Mike will be there for Friday and Saturday, Flash might come and sit at the campfire, and Cody is 99%.

A reminder that its Deer Season and the Forest Service require we wear orange while on the trail.

We're going to teach a bit about water filtration and basic trail navigation.
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm really looking forward to being out there this weekend. I'm testing a new underquilt tonight making sure it won't give me any problems this weekend. If anyone is coming from near or through either Dayton or Beaumont and wants to carpool just hit me up.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm looking forward to it as well. It will only be a Friday night/Saturday morning trip for me, but even a S24 is refreshing and renewing for me.

What I'm really looking forward to is weather where uq/tq will be needed. This past weekend was amazing but I noticed a forecast for highs in the upper 90's by next.

I'm not sure of an eta but I expect to get out there well before sun set.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Started packing this evening---just gotta do some grocery shopping.

Does everybody know where they are going?
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 am

The Weather Channel shows the weekend to be in the low 90s with [ur=http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/77356:4:US]night time temps overing in the underquilt range[/url] and a 10% chance for precipitation.

Accuweather agrees with that happy prospect

As does Weathr Underground, which is more optomistic about rain chances, with the highest chance of 8% being in the early hours of Satruday morning.
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:28 am

How many people does it look like need to get back from #2 to #4? I'm thinking im going to park at #2 Friday evening and hike to the Friday night campsite. I can fit 4 passengers in my truck to take back to #4.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:13 am

That should work. Even if we can't get everybody back to #4 in one trip, folks who do go over there can come back to #2 and get a couple to take back to #4.
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:34 am

Ksbcrocks wrote:How many people does it look like need to get back from #2 to #4? I'm thinking im going to park at #2 Friday evening and hike to the Friday night campsite. I can fit 4 passengers in my truck to take back to #4.

Hey Cody;

What time will you be there at PL#2?

I'm gonna try and shoot some video there of some routes to a sweet little camping spot and you might could be of a help to me.
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:47 pm

sarge wrote: Hey Cody;

What time will you be there at PL#2?

I'm gonna try and shoot some video there of some routes to a sweet little camping spot and you might could be of a help to me.
I get out of class around noon, so 3 is probably the earliest I can get there.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Well,

I just did some scratching on my thumbnail and figger that I'd be better off doing the shooting I was gonna do at PL#2 some other time. I'll have Kristi with me and I think I'll avoid any chance that night hiking will be required and just head to the campsite from PL #4. We'll be getting there between 1600 - 1800.
My You Tube Channel

flashcb
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by flashcb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Sarge, sorry the schedule is not going to let me get out there this weekend. I do like living vicariously through photos though.
"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane" J.B.
WWW.TEXASGUNTALK.COM
www.Magnoliamisfits.com
www.Pleasanthill380.org

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:59 pm

How bout video, too?

I've got some plans for a coupla things while I'm out lollygagging and dilly dallying.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Texas Wilderness Ministry”